The Collecting Bug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To say how much water exactly is impossible, huge number of variables.
But, the body itself is excellent in telling us if we need more water. Thirst.
Generally speaking, a person that has a non physical work in a temperature of 20-25C, eating the recommended amount of fruit and veg, needs to drink about 1.5 liters a day.

Agreed, but a lot of older people do not manage anywhere near 2L of water a day (including the 20% from food). Dehydration is actually a major source of confusion, urine infection, and hospitalisation for older people. On top of that, as soon as you get up from behind the desk, the level goes up quite quickly.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Didn't we go through all this like last week or something ...

... and agree to disagree? :)

2L is nothing like enough and thirst is a rubbish indicator of hydration :lol:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen excess water consumption put the elderly in the hospital presenting irregular heart rhythym.
The'd washed themselves out of K+.

I can estimate my fluid intake as about 2 liters per 24 hours. That seems to match my fluid loss rate.
Sips of water during the night and several kinds of fruit and fruit juices all day long.
Don't short yourselves on the electrolytes. Water alone can be discomforting.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Didn't we go through all this like last week or something ...

... and agree to disagree? :)

2L is nothing like enough and thirst is a rubbish indicator of hydration :lol:
We go over it a few times a year. For the record, thirst is THE natural indicator you need water. Th argument almost always comes back that by that time it’s too late. It never gets settled.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Well, OK. But it is all situational, right? The same single regimen doesn't apply across the board, and it doesn't provide sound guidance to others to simply assert the contrary.

2L a day is fine if you are almost entirely sedentary. 4L if you go to the gym daily or run or whatever or have a physical job, or are up hiking a hill in August sun. If you are serving overseas wearing armour in a desert environment or working on forest fires it is 20L a day. Point is that there is a huge scale.

Fruits and veg all count; herbal teas as well. Tea, coffee count too, but are diuretic and therefore dehydrating.

Your pee should be clear. That's a good sign.

Thirst, however, is a tardy indicator ... by the time it presents, dizziness, bad mood, confusion etc are potentially right round the corner, if not already evident. And, you want to get ahead of that if only for comfort's sake. :)

Electrolyte levels are a different (if related) issue. True, if you have to drink lots, you have to keep up your salts. Cheaply: using food quality epsom salt (for magnesium), baking soda (for sodium), low sodium salt (for potassium) - 1/4 tsp each mixed in OJ for a quick electrolyte repair. But, you can get this from diet too.

Bloody anti-vaxxers :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm currently down sizing everything I 'collect' to things I use/ actively enjoy

CD's, DVD's, Books, Clothes, footwear, bags edc gear etc.

Its quite liberating and the charity shops not minding at all...

Reactions: Billy-o

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah yes, but there's an enjoyment to be had from the purely aesthetic of some collections.

Oh, forgot, my collection of bones including badger, fox and otter skulls - (Mmm, maybe I need therapy).

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Pics please :) Never seen an otter skull ... we get lots of them around here, but I've never knowingly seen any bones

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada

The ridge on that badger's skull! For the jaw muscles, I am guessing .. or is it the neck, do you think? Anatomy isn't necessarily my strong suit

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's the nuchal crest on the skull where you find a bulk of neck muscles attached.
The bone arches below the optical orbits afttach a lot of jaw muscle in 2 ways:
a) the surface area of the bone and
b) the thickness of the bone.

Consider the great mass of flight muscle attached to the crest on a bird's breast bone.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Jaw muscles. Very strong jaws...But then pretty much all of the badger is very strong...

You might like this.

http://www.thelasttuesdaysociety.org/museum-curiosities

A real old fashioned Cabinet of Curiosities.

I like this. I am in favour of Serious Academia...But I do not like academics who take themselves Too Seriously. There is a difference.

A book on museums and collecting which is fun is `Behind the Scenes in the Museum of Baked Beans` by Hunter Davies.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do I get even part marks for remembering that it was some sort of "crest" for muscle attachment?
Poor recall but I do like braille human anatomy, the "hands-on" approach.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE