Limpets, To Eat the Black Blob..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I Never eat the Black Blob that's attached to the backside of the Limpet...Ever.

I was watching a Time Team Episode where they were cooking Sea food and they cooked up some Limpets. Tony then offered the cooked limpet to the big guy with the reddy grey beard, (his name eludes me) and he scoffed down Natures jaw breaker, Black blob and all.
I nearly threw up...

So...are you a Black Blob Man/Woman or do you leave that part out.?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was always taught that was the gut sack and to leave it be.
Have found if done in the slow cooker that they're not as chewy though. That of cut up small in a soup they are good protein and more palatable to.most folk.
Much prefer mussles or best of all razor clams. :p

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was always taught that was the gut sack and to leave it be.
Have found if done in the slow cooker that they're not as chewy though. That of cut up small in a soup they are good protein and more palatable to.most folk.
Much prefer mussles or best of all razor clams. :p

I struggle getting Razor clams to show face, even with a couple of Kilos of salt poured down the keyholes.

ps, I dont mean Kilos per hole.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Any particular reason why not "Always"

Not really, but I am more concious of it in poorer waters as they are grazers. Around the shoreline in the very very very NE Scotland for instance I quite happily scoff the lot. Around the south coast it comes off.

n.b. grazers, not filter feeders!

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Not really, but I am more concious of it in poorer waters as they are filter feeders. Around the shoreline in the very very very NE Scotland for instance I quite happliy scoff the lot. Around the south coast it comes off.
I was always led to believe they were grazers and not filter feeders.?

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Tastiest and best part of the limpet, I only remove the little head and horns.

I grew up in a coastal community where all sorts of edible shoreline food was consumed, I cannot recall anyone who discarded anything other than the head and horns, some ate that part also.

Overcooking them spoils the flavour, just pour boiling water over them and let them cook in the shell for a minute without bringing the water back to a boil or simmer.

Or if boiled in a pot, boil just long enough for them to leave or start to detach from the shell and turn the heat off, again leave for a minute (or less if you prefer them less chewy).

Boiled until they are like chewy rubber, and frankly they are not worth eating.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I struggle getting Razor clams to show face, even with a couple of Kilos of salt poured down the keyholes.

ps, I dont mean Kilos per hole.

Rather than using dry salt I find it.easier to.make up as strong a saline solution as possible and pour that into the holes. Gets down to them more efficiently. Also you have to move as lightly and slowly as possible as they feel the vibrations if you clump about.
My dog used to "help" and the look on his face when trying to pull them out had me in stitches every time.
Good luck, they really are worth it. :D

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Rather than using dry salt I find it.easier to.make up as strong a saline solution as possible and pour that into the holes. Gets down to them more efficiently. Also you have to move as lightly and slowly as possible as they feel the vibrations if you clump about.
My dog used to "help" and the look on his face when trying to pull them out had me in stitches every time.
Good luck, they really are worth it. :D

I've had them, Just not in any great numbers. and you are correct..Deeelish. Someone once told me to Walk backwards after i had put the salt in the hole. I'm Guessing they were tearing the proverbial and probably watching me from a distance whilst laughing like Hyenas.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not really, folk tend to.naturally walk smoother and quieter backwards and you see them popping up that way.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Not really, but I am more concious of it in poorer waters as they are grazers. Around the shoreline in the very very very NE Scotland for instance I quite happily scoff the lot. Around the south coast it comes off.

n.b. grazers, not filter feeders!

The very very very NE Scotland where the detritus from Dounreay is washed up on the beaches? I rarely venture on to the beaches up there.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I don't eat the black blob, the limpet is a herbivore grazer, my prefered method of cooking them is in a can/pan of water in their shells with whatever other shellfish i've collected, when they float free of the shell they are perfectly done and quite tasty

11578-1407546067-2df972a2c5f6dbebdc70577645c87a6d.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Loads of general rubbish on the beaches from lybster to wick, but I haven't seen much contamination from say the platforms.

I'm up there with work and occasionally get an hour or two to kill. It was a beautiful day and I thought to go up to the beach (more very very very north rather than very very very NE) to have a read and chill before working that evening. As I walked down the path to the beach I saw a yellow, semi permanent sign, to be honest I didn't read it. A bit further on I saw another sign the same and thought 'hmm better read that'. Basically it told you that bits of radioactive material had been washing up on the beaches in that area. Some were large others the size of a grain of sand and that care should be taken. I read my book elsewhere that day. Mind you on saying that would it affect the limpet as it's a grazer rather than a filter. Nice part of the world anyway but I wouldn't eat of the beaches around there I'm afraid.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'm up there with work and occasionally get an hour or two to kill. It was a beautiful day and I thought to go up to the beach (more very very very north rather than very very very NE) to have a read and chill before working that evening. As I walked down the path to the beach I saw a yellow, semi permanent sign, to be honest I didn't read it. A bit further on I saw another sign the same and thought 'hmm better read that'. Basically it told you that bits of radioactive material had been washing up on the beaches in that area. Some were large others the size of a grain of sand and that care should be taken. I read my book elsewhere that day. Mind you on saying that would it affect the limpet as it's a grazer rather than a filter. Nice part of the world anyway but I wouldn't eat of the beaches around there I'm afraid.

Isn't the radioactivity coming from WW2 Aircraft Dials that has over time leaked from the Aircraft the MOD dumped after the war. The luminous stuff they used to use in old clocks and watches.?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE