Limpets - how to cook them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
30Limpet
Fortune Summary Diet Suitability Vitamin Mineral Carb Protein Fat Others FAQ
Fortune - Limpet has a average-calorie, high-carb, low-fat and low-protein content. It is a good source of Calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.

The food contains 67.92g of carbs. The carbohydrate profile of the the food reveals it is low in complex carbs and very high in Simple carbs. Carbs are our primary source of energy but its source should be chosen with utmost care. Complex carbs are a more desirable addition to your diet, where as simple carbs should be consumed in moderation as it is very easily broken down, assimilated and absorbed in the body. Its very high sugar content puts it in the top 10 percentile. This is often undesirable for people watching their sugar intake.

Because of its low fat content, it could be suitable option, especially if you're watching your fat intake for health reasons.

It is also rich in Vitamin C, whose benefits include, but are not limited to protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.

It has a low density of Sodium, thus making it suitable for a low-sodium diet.

Our comprehensive nutrition ranking methodology, which inspects every nutrition element that this food is composed of, comes up with a nutrition ranking of 30, for Fortune - Limpet, and we advise that this food in moderation.
Calorie Breakdown
Calories from Protein 0%
Calories from Fat 0%
Calories from Carbs 100%
Why this is good for you
Very high in Vitamin C
No Cholesterol
No Saturated Fat
Very low in Sodium
Why this is bad for you
Diet Suitability

Diet Suitability
Diet Suitability
Atkins Diet LOW
Best I could locate in a hurry :)

Thanks but I was asking about the NZ green lipped mussels that you said were nutrionally poor not limpets.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Sorry - a bit of confusion here - I was still referring to "other Shellfish" in your reply ... the original Limpets...

I see. I'd be interested in trying limpets but probably wouldn't eat them in preference to mussels.

My 'other shellfish' are pipis, toheroas, pauas and the like. All Maori staples and all very useful and tasty food. I don't know any kiwis who have eaten limpets but that doesn't mean we don't.

Here in Spain I believe limpets are considered delicacies.

To be honest I don't think I need to assess the nutritional value of everything I eat either at home or while camping. Lots of stuff we eat is to enhance a meal and is not necessarily the major component. I see no reason why limpets can't be used that way.

Last edited:

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Whilst foraging on a deserted beach in the Isles of Scilly an ex-colonial spied us, wandered over to where we were and asked what we were doing. On hearing, he was curious why we were avoiding the limpets. 'Too chewy' said I. 'Then you're cooking them wrong' he opined. 'You wanna put them in a frying pan and flash fry them in a little oil, after a minute or two they will pop up, just like popcorn, this is the way the native Americans used to cook them and they're not chewy'.

I've never got around to trying this and pass on this tip untested. I am curious to know if it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE