Limited kit + long distance + beginners

Jun 17, 2008
Nottinghamshire
Hey guys.

Me and a few friends are planning on going on a fairly ambitious expedition in 2-3 months time. Between all of us we have only a little experience, only me and another friend have actually done anything like this before, this is all new for the other 2-3 guys. We've never had any bushcraft 'training', just trial and error, and also common sense.

And we all know that lack of experience leads to mistakes, like the last time a couple of years ago when I was 16, I attempted a 5 day expedition with limited kit across northern yorkshire. Which I only took a small 1-2 season lightwieght sleepingbag, no rollmat and a single one man tarp between 2 guys and their kit. Needless to say, it rained solid for those 5 days, we found it impossible to stay dry and warm and we walked 16 hours a day. In the end we both ended up with trench foot, hypothermia and sleep deprivation. But we manage to complete our challange. Fun times.

But the pain has faded from memory and we now find out selves looking for the next challange. This time aiming for a 7 day trek. The distance we are still trying to determine, but we're aiming for between 200-400km on foot, maybe more. But I feel the other friends simply won't be up for that. But its the nature of our expedition to find a suitable area, and have a map, compass and several days to do what we please. Walk where we want, and how far we want, it's all decided on the fly.

So I was wondering if anyone could recogmend a suitable area to attempt such an expedition? It's got to be large enough to squeeze several days of walking out of it, yet the terrain and climate not too difficult for the other members, and not too far from civilisation incase something goes wrong, and for stocking up on food supplies after a few days.

But also if anyone know of some good tips, do's and donts and so on. Or even some good resources that we might find useful.

Thanks in advance.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Pembrokeshire Coast Path's been appealing to me for a summer trip the past couple years - never got round to it so can't comment personally but I'm sure there'll be others on here who can. 299km, total rise 35,000' (yup, climb Everest and a bit in a fortnight around Pembrokeshire :D) yet it's all looks to be fairly low and easy going. http://nt.pcnpa.org.uk/website/sitefiles/nt_page.asp?PageID=2 and http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/trail.asp?PageId=33 for more info.

Not sure where to go with tips. I think we've all been there with the cold and wet thing (though not, maybe, for 5 days on the trot!), I'm personally a lightweight fan and seem to spend half my life in a bivy bag yet light doesn't have to mean uncomfortable. Look after yourself and your kit, check the weather forecast before you go, make sure you've got a sleeping bag, rain gear and shelter that's up to it, USE GROUND INSULATION lol - sounds to me like you learned your lesson there ;) I like my inflatable multimat for lots of padding plus I find that with a better ground mat I can use a lighter SB... I guess you know how to use a map and compass OK? Always useful for longer trips (shortest distance between two points = not going round in circles!)... make sure you look after your feet too, essential if you're out a week or two at a time; make sure your boots are broken in, treat hot spots immediately (don't get huge blisters), if you do get blisters treat them well, zinc oxide tape is my preference, others use compeed kits, micropore tape, plasters, etc. Personally I'm also using approach shoes most of the time in summer now rather than boots, they're lighter (a pound off your foot = 5 off your back) and I find I can place my feet better on rocky ground than I can in boots; less chance of broken ankles. Not everyone agrees with me on that one mind so I don't know whether to recommend it or not.

Good luck with it wherever you go, I admire anyone who's willing to get out and about, especially after experiencing what sounds like an erm... interesting trip in the past :rolleyes: :D

Jun 17, 2008
Nottinghamshire
Hey, thanks for the advice and suggestions so far. OffasDyke looks interesting, and is certainly a posibility. I've spent 3 nights on the brecon beacons so we should know what to expect.

Luckly me and my friend are pretty good with maps, since I spent a fair few years in the Army Cadet Force, and him in the army.

Yeah, foot care would certainly be a concern, I'll need to make sure the new guys have a decent pair of walking boots or shoes. I swear by my magnums, I walked 26 miles in them straight out the box, and not one blister or red mark. Yet some people who had 'broken in' boots still ended up with massive blisters.

I think I'll look into a multimat, my basic one is looking abit worn.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I've got no advice other than to enjoy yourselves .. oh and post a trip report when you get back :)

Nicolas posted one this week that you might want to read to try and pick up some tips, also there's one hanging around somewhere by -Switch- about a trip to Scotland that didn't go quite according to plan.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
400 km in 7 days? with full rugsack?
Good luck!

Why not try to begin small, and praktise what you've learned from the past time.
I've Essential Bushcraft from Ray Mears. That's about bushcraft, but the chapters 'Outfit' and 'Hitting the trail' are the most important I think.
Go camping with your equipment for a weekend somewhere not deep in the woods. Learn what your limits are(how much can you walk with a rugsack on) and learn what and how much you have to carry(water/food for example). So practise before going 'for real'.
Do a first aid course.
Having a compass and a map doesn't mean you know how to navigate in the woods.

And ask yourself what went wrong the past time and what you can do about it. (how to stay/get dry)

Include the other members of your party in it.

Succes!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I would also suggest doing some smaller outings first to test your kit out, see what works, see what doesn't - see what you use and what you don't.

Walk before you run etc.

Paddywacker

May 31, 2008
Dublin
Hey ye,

I did a trip back in 2000 when i was in the scouts(Im now a leader) in the Czech Rep. We had to walk in teams of two - 200km in 10 days. Carry all our gear and live on a limited budget (I think it was about £2.00 - £3.00 ish between us a day). The walking was all on roads but 200km is 200km wherever you walk it. It lashed rain for 8 of our days on the road.

I can only stress that you and your mates get out training. Walk with your bags whenever you can (to/from work, when you get home go out and do 5-10km etc) You or more importantly your mates need to get your backs used to the weight of the gear you'll be bringing. When at home I never wore shoes or runners. I did everything in my bare feet. Anything to toughen them up which could help prevent blisters.

Another idea is to wear shorts when walking. Shorts are alot easier to dry than trousers, your legs are "waterproof" already. You can then throw on your trousers in the evening and relax in the pub / by a fire etc.

I really hope you enjoy your trip. I'd love to get back out and do another expedition.
If you want any more info just ask.

Sorry for the long post.

Later,

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
My humble observation, is this a hike for fun or an endurance march, chose a route first and then decide how much or how long you need to cover it. 400 km is a long way for most of the time it will be heads down and just going for waypoints, I proffer cover a comfortable distance make a good camp eat and sleep well and see what the next day brings, there may well be places along the route where you will want to spend more than one day.

Crazyclimber's suggestion re-approach boots/shoes very sensible I like cross trainers.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jun 17, 2008
Nottinghamshire
400 km in 7 days? with full rugsack?
Good luck!

Why not try to begin small, and praktise what you've learned from the past time.
I've Essential Bushcraft from Ray Mears. That's about bushcraft, but the chapters 'Outfit' and 'Hitting the trail' are the most important I think.
Go camping with your equipment for a weekend somewhere not deep in the woods. Learn what your limits are(how much can you walk with a rugsack on) and learn what and how much you have to carry(water/food for example). So practise before going 'for real'.
Do a first aid course.
Having a compass and a map doesn't mean you know how to navigate in the woods.

And ask yourself what went wrong the past time and what you can do about it. (how to stay/get dry)

Include the other members of your party in it.

Succes!

Yeah looks like good advice. 400km is suppose to be really ambitious, it doesn't mean we will reach it, or we have to reach it, but we would like to.

Both me and another member are first aid trained, but mines expired, and I've forgotten a supprising amount, other than the basics. But I'll brush up on it before hand. I'm pretty good with the map and compass, I can trianglelate my locations, do 8 figure grid refs accurately, convert the distance between grid north and true north ect. But apart from that I don't know any alternate methods I can use, so I could read up on more improvised methods as back up.

I think you're right about doing a few practices, especially with the new guys. I've learnt in the past not to carry 8ltrs of water around with me :p So I better make sure the other guys don't do the same.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
The most important thing should be to check that every member of the party is as keen and enthusiastic as you. From what you say it appears they have differing levels of ability and motivation. I have many good friends I would spend an evening in the pub with but I know that as soon as they got into a wood they would start whinging, ar :censored: ing about and asking when we get to the next pub/hot-dog van/flushing toilet.

Podcast Bob

As a matter of interest have you had a listen to any of the long distance hiker podcast interviews I've done over at Backpackinglight.co.uk or theoutdoorsstation.co.uk?

They are intended to be full of information about weight saving tips, ideas of how to reduce kit, and how to use one piece of kit for more than one use. There's 2 series on there on walking across (Scotland 200 miles 2006 and 2007), there are interviews with a guy called Ben Corr, who did the Pacific Crest Trail, with the guy did the fastest Triple Crown (all three long distant US hikes) plus loads of others.

Each of them tell you about the hardships, the metal approach as well as discuss good and bad kit. Tie this in with your knowledge and interest in Bushcraft and you will be carrying more knowledge and less weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE