Like Nowhere Else on Earth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I just had to share a positive thought.

I confess to being no jingoist and am barely even patriotic.

But there is nowhere in the world that can match a British summer's day.

The Kent trails today were at their most beautiful, teeming with life under a bright sun and a cool breeze. They made me forget my itchy feet for just a moment. Heavenly.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Damio boy - perfect summers day in North Carmarthenshire - and I was indoors on a child protection course!
In a room overlooking the perfect summer canoeing rapids and glorious trees.....

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
But there is nowhere in the world that can match a British summer's day.

The Kent trails today were at their most beautiful, teeming with life under a bright sun and a cool breeze. They made me forget my itchy feet for just a moment. Heavenly.

Couldn't agree more, I was out on the downs yesterday enjoying the sights and sounds and getting crispy fried arms.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
With the exeption of a Welsh summer`s day ( we had sleet here this morning !!!! )

I take it that's not at sea level though?

Up in the cairngorms you can very occasionally get snow even in july. Not happened to me yet though.

I love the countryside in north scotland, but I wouldn't say it's the best. Further south, I wouldn't rate it at all. Personally, that has to go to somewhere like canada/alaska/scandinavia. I have this amazing picture of denali and the moorland leading up to it and that looks one of the best places in the world.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I love the countryside in north scotland, but I wouldn't say it's the best. Further south, I wouldn't rate it at all.

It never fails to amaze me when people would rate another country over the UK. I understand that we are all allowed our own opinions and those opinions will vary greatly but the UK has some of the most varied and beautiful landscapes in the world .. and we're just a small island!!!

My opinion, there are some other wonderful areas around the world but you cannot beat the UK for choice.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It never fails to amaze me when people would rate another country over the UK. I understand that we are all allowed our own opinions and those opinions will vary greatly but the UK has some of the most varied and beautiful landscapes in the world .. and we're just a small island!!!

My opinion, there are some other wonderful areas around the world but you cannot beat the UK for choice.

But pretty much all countries have alot of choice, I mean looking south, to france, you have larger mountains, better weather, forests, beaches etc. Plus, some places up here have litter and things, in places like scandinavia etc this is less common in my experience.

For choice, I think you want to look for a large country, I mean the US has some big mountains, as well as deserts, forests of all types, etc etc.

What things in the UK then do you think are particularly beautiful/good?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I take it that's not at sea level though?

Up in the cairngorms you can very occasionally get snow even in july. Not happened to me yet though.

We were at about 700ft as i said only lasted 10 mins rest of the day was perfect. I was on the summit of cairngorm about 13 years ago and we had snow on august bank holiday.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got to agree there - I feel little need to roam abroad - The High Chalk on a sunny day is breathtaking. Having been laid on my back on the springy turf watching skylarks sing over the orchids recently, "God's own country" certainly sums it up for me

Red

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Where can possibly be better than the Duchy of Cornwall (Kernow) on a summers day, the roads crammed with carvans, the beaches packed with corpulent reddening flesh, the smell of suntan oil. AAAAARGH!!!!!!! I'm off to the woods.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Taken as a whole, the British Isles are difficult to beat, especially if you include Ireland too.

I don't think it's just patriotism, I think our position on the globe, embraced by the Gulf Stream as we are gives us a unique climate and combined with our geology it's a fine combination.

It's one of the reasons I enjoy photographing our landscape so much.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think you can not beat Sand Bay on the Bristol channel, an afternoon spent with the sun warming the rocks, the tide out, sitting in a sheltered bay drink fresh brewed tea, we were surrounded by clumps of rock samphire, and sea beet. My little girl was clambering over the lichen covered rocks, all was peaceful and definitely much better than visiting the in-laws which was the alternative.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Places where it's 30c all the way through the summer look like deserts to me.

Britain's summer is beautiful BECAUSE the weather is so unreliable. You appreciate the sun more when it comes, and it makes the plants lush because of the preceding rain.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants

I had a good long think about this at work today (because I had nothing better to do) and have decided not to post a list of where I think are particularly beautiful spots as there are way too many.

However, already people have started posting their views on the matter and I'm sure others will too.

For me though one of the most amazing places is sitting atop Stanage edge looking over the Peak District as the sun goes down. Followed in a close second by pretty much anywhere you care to mention along the downs on a warm summers evening, especially in my adopted county, Kent.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

2562353772_381e07da86_o.jpg

499917396_6796c82ea9.jpg

373672507_7be988085c_o.jpg

1619290037_0df51c7f8e_o.jpg

565035268_7ee8767402.jpg

532008809_2a8df913e5.jpg

451312196_3201466949.jpg

Red :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE