lightweight wool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks, all my clothes are either wool or linen. now its winter i could dae with some wool trousers but the heavyweight ones just dont work for me. im looking for some wool trousers that are much more lightweight and having trouble sourcing some. i have a pendleton shirt i got fae rokit.com thats braw tis thin and lightweight would love trousers of similar quality. even ebay hasnae come up with much

any help would be great.
Hamish.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Are these any good? They won't be as light as a Pendleton shirt but they won't be as thick as say, the Danish wool trousers that were posted on here last week.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can sew.......Ian gave me a link to an ebay seller, and I bought some truly beautiful khaki green wool from them, dirt cheap, it arrived this afternoon and it's really, really good stuff :D

cheers,
Toddy

Dreadhead

Vizla cheers i think army surplus ones tend tae be pretty heavy for me

Bilmo thanks for the link they look pretty good and cheap too will give me something tae think about.

Toddy that link would be great. iv taken my hand tae leathercraft but im pretty rubbish with sewing. However im sure SWMBO could help me out as shes been making a wool viking dress

Hamish

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you can sew.......Ian gave me a link to an ebay seller, and I bought some truly beautiful khaki green wool from them, dirt cheap, it arrived this afternoon and it's really, really good stuff :D

cheers,
Toddy

Care to share the link Mary?

I've been thinking of making some wool trousers for the winter as well. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I bought some brilliant tweed trews from charity shops in Forres and Elgin, the're all I wear once the temp drops(with other cloths o of course :) ) warm and light.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The endicotts Danish wool trousers have been praised on here and Wayland has promised a review soon. Failing that charity shops are good sources. You need to be a bit patient and diligent though as they are a bit few and far between.

Dec 24, 2011
Sheffield
I got some wool trousers from Cabela's before www.cabelas.com . Just search wool pants (They're American) and it comes up with a few results. They're quite expensive but people on the reviews seem to say that their last pair lasted 20 years so in my oppinion it would be money well spent.

Dreadhead

I got some wool trousers from Cabela's before www.cabelas.com . Just search wool pants (They're American) and it comes up with a few results. They're quite expensive but people on the reviews seem to say that their last pair lasted 20 years so in my oppinion it would be money well spent.

yeah i had a pair of them, wore once and sold them to a member on here. they were waaaay too heavy for me im afraid. i overheat like a dog in a car alot of the time

Dec 24, 2011
Sheffield
Have you looked at these, there only 14oz (what is it? per square foot?) compared to 24 for the rest of them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=wool+pants

If you find them heavy you could always use suspenders like me (or do you use the word braces? I prefer the former but sometimes get wierd looks off people wh asociate the word with female attire). But I have to say mine are usually overkill apart from in the harshest weather.

Dreadhead

cheers for the link there. i just find cabelas wool stuff is heavy, thick and tightly woven for the cold winters in the US but im after wool that you can see through, light and loosely knit stuff. tae be fair i dont even wear trousers, havent in years. has always been the kilt or linen breeks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hamish I'd forgot that you wore the kilt......how about the lightweight pull on Viking trews that we make for re-enactors?Simplest trousers on the planet. Just two pieces and maybe a waistband. Up to yourself how many additions you make to them; pockets, belt loops, fit a fly......and they can be worn over the linen trousers if you get the sizing right.
The stuff you're looking for then is wool flannel. Usually found in grey, because it's used for school trousers from folks like M&S.

cheers,
M

Dreadhead

Hamish I'd forgot that you wore the kilt......how about the lightweight pull on Viking trews that we make for re-enactors?Simplest trousers on the planet. Just two pieces and maybe a waistband. Up to yourself how many additions you make to them; pockets, belt loops, fit a fly......and they can be worn over the linen trousers if you get the sizing right.
The stuff you're looking for then is wool flannel. Usually found in grey, because it's used for school trousers from folks like M&S.

cheers,
M

yeah if i do wear trousers its usually tartan flannel jammies. good for down the pub =D and when its cold tartan jammies i made intae shorts under my linen breeks. does the job for now. i just find it hard wearing modern trousers. im a scruffy bugger and have never suited clean cut clothes. viking trews may be the way! have you any patterns at all? ian offered tae make me some trousers so i may compare viking pattern with his pattern

Hamish

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ian will make real trouser/trousers :approve:
These are really simple pull on woollen trackies or jammies.

The pattern is incredibly simple. Take a pair of breeks that fit. Measure around your backside when you are squatting down, and measure your crotch seam from back waist to front waist when you're there too.
Now lay out the trousers on a bit of paper, two pieces of wallpaper sellotaped/stapled or sewn together works fine. Shift them so that the side seam lies in the middle of the paper and draw the inside leg and crotch (you need to tuck one leg into the other to get this clearly) of the back on one half and the front on the other, both worked from the side seam out to the edge of the paper.
There'll be a curve from hip to waistband at the side seam, just ignore that and aim straight up if you want pull -ons.

Now you need to measure the waist and measure that against the pattern so that it'll pull on over your backside with a little ease. You also need to measure the crotches and make sure it adds up to the measurement you took when squatting down. It sounds awkward, but when you see the lines on the paper in front of you it'll seem obvious.
This is one pattern piece. Add on 5cms at the top of the waist for the turnover for the waistband, the same at the hems and depending on how you intend to sew them together 1 or 1.5cm to the edges of the pattern for the seam allowances.
Cut out twice, turning the pattern over to get the second one right way up on the fabric.

To put the trews together, sew the two front crotches together, sew the two back ones together (straight stitch and zigzab, french seam or flat felled (like denims).
Now sew the inner legs from crotch to hem both sides.
Either add on extra fabric enough to make a fold over waist band or sew on a seperate one. Thread elastic or cord, or a long lace through the waistband, and turn up the hems.
All done.

Not structured, not ironed with a crease down the front, just comfortable pull-on woollen trews. Doesn't
work well in heavy fabric, but in fine stuff, linen, flannel and the like, very, very good.
If you want a fly front fit it before you sew the back or leg seams,and adjust the waistband to fit again.
It's the same with pockets, much easier to put on when you have only the two main pieces to deal with.

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE