LIGHTWEIGHT WINDPROOF COTTON SMOCK/JACKET

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have been looking at this recently, P.

https://ufpro.com/uf_pro_products/jackets/95/uf_pro_m1_field_jacket/

Probably won't go for it, but my point is there is a lot of new single layer ventile pieces out there. Mainly not cheap. Hilltrek have a few options. Double and single layer and half and half pieces like the Talorc .. which I kind of like

Orvis stopped making their rather good field coat.

Varusteleka do a good windproof smock/jacket - Särmä

Last edited:
Reactions: SCOMAN

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Bergans 'Morgedal' smock; the single best and most comfortable lightweight top I've ever owned. Had mine now for well over six years, it gets a kot of hard use and still looks not far off new.

Reactions: SCOMAN

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Is a shacket too light in material or are you looking for a half zip smock? I was looking at the teclite range by buffalo. I remember the RAF Rgt had tailored a desert shirt into a half zip with a hood sewn on to the collar. For the summer heat it actually looked smart and passable, this was before ubacs were issued.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have been looking at this recently, P.

https://ufpro.com/uf_pro_products/jackets/95/uf_pro_m1_field_jacket/

Probably won't go for it, but my point is there is a lot of new single layer ventile pieces out there. Mainly not cheap. Hilltrek have a few options. Double and single layer and half and half pieces like the Talorc .. which I kind of like

Orvis stopped making their rather good field coat.

Varusteleka do a good windproof smock/jacket - Särmä

That UFPRO one looks like the RAF cold weather flying jacket

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It does, doesn't it.

There's a video which will give you a better look. The designer is sporting one and there is a much broader looking cove showing one off .. says its based on a US M41 jacket. There's a few military remakes knocking around now .. like the US N1 deck jacket etc.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Does anyone know if the Swedish Snow smock is windproof? I have one of them I bought for a couple of quid years ago I think.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If you already have it, can you not go out on a windy day and try it ?
Bizarrely especially as I live in Scotland we've hardly seen a breath of wind recently but yes of course I can. I found a died snow smock on eBay and remembered I had one from way back, just thought I'd ask the question.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Just for anyone else looking for a nice windproof smock:

I use a russian gorka 3 smock most of the time for camping and hunting. It was an absolute hero in some of the worst weather we got this winter. Wore it for riding my motorbike to work in the snow and some days it kept wind out that was whipping snow powder up so fast it would make your bare skin raw. Also did a brilliant job of shedding the snow so stayed dry.

Cheap, bombproof, excellent quality, quiet, easy to maintain, light and breathable. Jacket packs up into a very small space as its completely unlined

Looks modern, expensive and good quality, had a lot of compliments on the trousers especially (i bought full suit).

They are popular in Russia for hikers, fishermen, hunters, etc. Originally issued in the military as a wind and water resistant over suit.

They come with some great features. If you want to know more, google it, cos i could be here all day otherwise

Come in multiple colour schemes.

Picked up a full suit of jacket, trousers, hat and braces for about £70 delivered. Not bad. The hat is damn ugly though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
c53d27a60c0f5b15f81714c5a512481c.jpg

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Went looking for the Varusteleka Gorka but, while looking on the youtube, found this admirable endorsement of the Särmä smock.

I might be buyin' :lol:

Still looking for a OG SAS smock ... shame SASSkit stopped

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE