Lightweight (under 1Kg), £150 down sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vephinx

May 4, 2012
Kent
I'm trying to go as lightweight as possible within my budget, but I'm lost when it comes to finding a sleeping bag that fits those requirements.
I'm looking for a sleeping bag as light as possible, definitely under 1Kg. Down preferably.
I have heard good things about Alpkit sleeping bags, but it seems like they are no longer selling them at this time.

Any help would be great! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What sort of rating are you looking at? With warmth comes weight, high end bags are typically lighter but you pay for it. The new Montane bags look good, still a bit pricey but give them a few weeks and there will be discounts to be had. Rab are always good value, depending on the rating you want you might find something for a little over your budget.

Alpkit always sold out because the specs of their bags matched and sometimes beat a lot of the more expensive options, and they cost half the price. I've got a Pipedream 400 & 600 tucked away.

The Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina bag range is worth a look, they're synthetic but weights more akin to down bags.

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
im on the same boat! have you tried downsleepingbag.co.uk ?i cumulus ultralight is an excellent bag but just a little tight on me(im 6ft 2").

rg598

Native
When it comes to sleeping bags, lightweight and low cost don't mix too well. That being said, assuming that you are looking for three season bags, there are plenty of low cost option that are around the 1kg mark. The Kelty Cosmic Down 20 costs only $170 (£100) and weighs 1.2kg. The Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32, as mentioned above, is also a great option, costing $200 (£120) and weighing 0.8kg.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, then you can get into really good bags, which are in the $300-$450 (£180-£260) range. Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Volandre make top of the line bags. The Mountain Hardwear Speed 32 is a great bag, and so is the Marmot Plasma 30.

If you are ever going to spend money on your gear, the sleeping bag is where I believe you will get the best return.

racer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
london
Cumulus quantum 350 should be in budget, or a phd bag, cracking one on their now minimix, £199. Or go mad and get a WM bag, love my antelope MF.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If your going for down bags, well worth spending the extra if you have it to get a decent european/ North american goose down filling, rather than a duck down bag like the Alpkit, or a cheaper chinese goose filling. The lower quality the down, the shorter it will last before going a bit flat. A good goose down will last many many years, even more so with the new Hydrophobic down treatments.

WMC, Feathered friends, PHD etc are all top of the tree. I use a Montbell No5 UL down hugger (now the Spiral hugger) because the elasticated outer removes any feeling of being constricted in a small bag and also provides more warmth.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Ever thought about going down the road of a down quilt? Just as warm as a sleeping bag but even lighter!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rg598

Native
Okay, So if I upped the budget to £250 - £300, what would be best?

I quite like the look of the Rab Neutrino Endurance 200, but what are the competitors?

Since you are looking at the RAB Neutrino 200, I'm assuming you are looking at three season sleeping bags with rating down to about 0C, since the Neutrino 200 has a rating of 5C.

In that category bag, I would look at the:
1. Feathered Friends Osprey Nano 30 (or any of the other 30 degree variants from the company like the Merlin or Kestrel), which weighs 784g, has a rating of 0C, and costs £220;
2. Western Mountaineering Summerlite (or HighLite), which weighs 525g, has a rating of 0C, and costs
£225;
3. Mountain Hardwear Speed 32 which weighs 446g, has a rating of 0C, and costs £285;
4. Marmot Plasma 30, which weighs 680g, has a rating of 0C, and costs £285;
5. PHD Minix (or Minim 400) which weighs 590g, has a rating of 0C, and costs £199.00;
6. You may want to also look at the Valandre Bloody Mary. It is a heavier bag, but some people like its modularity.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above bags. I'm a Western Mountaineering fan myself, but I think any of the above are comparable. Read some reviews for each bag you are thinking about and see what people like and dislike about them. Something that might be very important to me, may not matter to you.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE