Lightweight sleep mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice regarding getting a new light weight sleep mat for an upcoming trip.

I have currently got an exped synmat 7m and a neo xlite small which I am going to sell to fund the new one.

But I'm caught between the exped synmat ul 7lw
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ed-synmat-7-ultralight-airbed-lw-xlarge-p1835

Or the neo xlite large
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...-c146/thermarest-neoair-xlite-large-mat-p1505

What I. Worried about is the xlite small is a bit noisy when you move around on it, so I'm guessing the large will be the same, but the neo air large is 160g lighter than the exped.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience of both or either?

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
XTherm in a Medium is my next buy :)

I've heard some folk find the NeoAirs noisy but I don't mind it, I'm usually asleep anyway :)

Are you just after a longer mat than your small xlite?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Talk to me before you push the button. Looking for a good home for my medium as ive upsized to the large

Oooh now then, I'm thinking of upsizing from my short original NeoAir to the medium XTherm, but it's nearly double the weight so I'm still debating it. I've slept down to -5 with my mat but I wouldn't want to take it much lower, just a few extra R's would do me so I still haven't ruled out the xlite yet.

Any repairs to yours, much use?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Oooh now then, I'm thinking of upsizing from my short original NeoAir to the medium XTherm, but it's nearly double the weight so I'm still debating it. I've slept down to -5 with my mat but I wouldn't want to take it much lower, just a few extra R's would do me so I still haven't ruled out the xlite yet.

Any repairs to yours, much use?

Used for 2 days on our peaks trip and once on my wales trip up Tryfan. Its minty mate

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi guys, I'm after a bit of advice regarding getting a new light weight sleep mat for an upcoming trip.

I have currently got an exped synmat 7m and a neo xlite small which I am going to sell to fund the new one.

But I'm caught between the exped synmat ul 7lw
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ed-synmat-7-ultralight-airbed-lw-xlarge-p1835

Or the neo xlite large
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...-c146/thermarest-neoair-xlite-large-mat-p1505

What I. Worried about is the xlite small is a bit noisy when you move around on it, so I'm guessing the large will be the same, but the neo air large is 160g lighter than the exped.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience of both or either?

Cheers
Steve

I have the Xlite and think its great. Yes its rustles a bit when you turn over but has never bothered me really. Its light and packs down well. If I was to change to another mat, like above it would be the Xtherm for his heat reflecting surface.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
XTherm in a Medium is my next buy :)

I've heard some folk find the NeoAirs noisy but I don't mind it, I'm usually asleep anyway :)

Are you just after a longer mat than your small xlite?

Yes mate, my xlite small is just a bit too small for me, but at 250g it's perfect weight!!
It's almost worth keeping for light weight hammock insulation, have you ever used your neo in your hammock?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Yes mate, my xlite small is just a bit too small for me, but at 250g it's perfect weight!!
It's almost worth keeping for light weight hammock insulation, have you ever used your neo in your hammock?

I have but still got cold spots on lower sides. Before I got my UQ I was going to try a emergency foil blanket inside hammock to protect sides but didnt get round to it.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
How about the multimat superlite compct 320g and about £50

I use the Multimat Superlite Air. 300g. I think it's about the lightest full length mat I've seen. Probably not as warm as some of the others mentioned but to be honest I've never been cold using it. It packs down silly small as well.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
I use the Multimat Superlite Air. 300g. I think it's about the lightest full length mat I've seen. Probably not as warm as some of the others mentioned but to be honest I've never been cold using it. It packs down silly small as well.

+1 for the superlight air, not silly money like a therm-a-rest either (over £50 cheaper IIRC)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

No not tried in the hammy, I just use my underquilts. It'd probably be a bit too high and tippy for my liking. I've used my old Prolite a few times but it's been a couple of years.

rg598

Native
I have the NeoAir XTherm and I love it. It has higher R value than the ones you listed (R5.7), which makes it great year round. It's 15oz, and packs down small. You will have the noise issues, but for some reason it doesn't bother me.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I have the NeoAir XTherm and I love it. It has higher R value than the ones you listed (R5.7), which makes it great year round. It's 15oz, and packs down small. You will have the noise issues, but for some reason it doesn't bother me.

Cheers for the input pal!!

I really do like the xtherms, they seem to tick all the boxes, but this is purely going to be a spring and summer ground mat for travelling as light as possible, I am actually intrigued by the multi mat, seems pretty good for the price!!

What I do is that whatever I buy needs to be a full size mat, I have a small and medium and seem to suffer as I'm not the smallest lol, so hence the large neo xlite and long wide exped!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE