Lightweight rigid tent poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I am converting a nice old boxy canvas tent into a new slightly smaller tent. However, the old poles are too heavy, and I am looking for somewhere to buy a lighter option. I am after two 2.5 metre poles and two 1.5m. The 2.5m ones at least need to be collapsible. I am looking for something as light as possible but rigid. They don't need to be exactly the lengths stated. I can always cut them down if needs be.
Cheers in advance for any advice.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
A total shot in the dark as I've never done anything like this, but a guy at work is having some custom fising poles made and I was wondering if there was anything in that direction that would do. Or a really really cheap tent that has the poles you want, or similar, and you find another use for the material part.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Yeah the fishing poles is something I have concidered. Would be beautifully light but, also very expensive for 4 poles.
Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What sort of diameter poles are you looking for? Vango do ally or steel poles or Gelert do fibreglass I think, if you want something a bit lighter then look for Easton poles, you'll probably have to shop across the pond though, Quest Outfitters would be a good place to look.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Clothes line props and Wilko's paint roller handles are quite light as they are cheap, and also adjustable.

Extendable extra long fishing bamksticks are another option if you like fishing too. They'd be multi use.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
:lmao:

Your right on that. I took a carp fishing trolley!

*note to self-must try to get back to normal and sand my Ti mug down to save some weight*
Next it will be a bedchair and bivvy.
Oh hold on Luckylee did that at northwood.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you get a pair of cheap telescopic hiking poles and take the handles off (they're generally just a friction fit) then sort a piece of tube that is a snug fit in place of the handles, the two poles will make up a single of 2.3m - 2.4m, which is about 7'6". You'd need to put a bolt or plug in the connecting tube to stop it sliding down but that's a summat and nowt job.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE