Lightweight Overnighter

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does Tony have a Solar? Love that tent, but then I would say that as I've got one.

Out of interest, how would your tarp, groundsheet and bivvy compare weight wise with the Solar?

I think Tony's tent was a Macpac Microlight, twenty odd years old. The Trailstar is 425g, the bivvy is 225g and the ground sheet around 100g at a guess. Tony's tent was around 2kg I think.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Macpac Microlight if I'm not mistaken. Trailstar's looking good. Won't work with cuben due to it needing the stretch to pitch right. Think I got it from the guy himself either on his site or in reply to an email enquiry.

I know where exactly you were. I've wandered round that way no too long ago but didn't stop the night. Never really thought about camping in that valley. Kind of got the idea of it being United Utilities owned land supplying water to Manchester, kind of not nice somehow. Having said that half our family's from Liverpool so think I will now!! ;)

Need some of those hills behind your spot and the ones on the other side of the valley too. Might have to make it a weekend or series of exploratory weekends. Don't really know that side too well. BTW if anyone fancies getting out in the Lakes (or anywhere) I'm always up for it. I tend to do as much as I can either on own or with anyone I can drag out. Really can't see the point of weekends unless out and about.

As far as getting back into stuff I'm getting back into using meths stoves. Still trying to go lightweight. Currently my kit ranges from mid to high 20s to as low as 7.5kg all in (food and 1litre of water). Good kitlist that Shewie. Envious of that trailstar. Really need to see one up sometime to see how good they are. ALthough it probably isn't wise as I'll only want one more.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nice pics BTW. Really good photographer Shewie.

One question about the Trailstar, have you tried other styles of pitching it? I thought you could vary the pitch slightly or is it more tarptent like than tarp like in that it has one pitch style? I know you can lift different edges for the entrance but are there any variations possible?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics BTW. Really good photographer Shewie.

One question about the Trailstar, have you tried other styles of pitching it? I thought you could vary the pitch slightly or is it more tarptent like than tarp like in that it has one pitch style? I know you can lift different edges for the entrance but are there any variations possible?

I only know of two pitches Paul, either high or low. I think I had mine somewhere in between. If it's higher then there's more headroom and less floor space, lower it sheds the wind better and you get a bigger footprint. We had a few big gusts coming in now and then and it never budged an inch.

Let me know when you're playing out and I'll see if I can join you, I'm not up for any big hills just yet but let me know what you've got planned.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I think I read in that thread on BPL that the guy used a flat hexagon to start with but it wouldn't pitch right. When it's laid down flat there seems to be a lot more fabric in the centre, almost like a witches hat if that makes sense.

I reckon sil nylon is best suited if you're gonna try one Pete, it needs a certain amount of stretch to pitch well. Some folk have asked Ron at MLD if he'll make a cuben version but he says it wont work due to the lack of stretch.

I'll try and find out the weight of the material if I can

Very useful info mate :)

Silnylon seems perfect for the tear resistance needed-I would think spinn might rip in a gale.

@Bilmo- Good thinking on a paper model, sounds like a plan :)

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Paper models are useful but its worth bearing in mind that paper may not behave quite the same way as cloth would, eg, paper will hold a fold, mid panel, where the cloth would not. The paper gives absolutely no indication what a bit of stretch might achieve either.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Thankyou to Rich for the good company, makes a nice change from me going solo.

It is a Macpac Microlight (1st generation!), billed as 1.9 KG when I bought it twenty years ago. Still works like new!

We had great weather and no midges.

Paul, and anyone else interested, I'm always up for Lakes walking. It would have to be a weekend though.
Let me know.

Cheers.

Btw; Yeah Jason, Ha Ha. I was backpacking whilst yer mum was still lacing-up ya school shoes :)

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks great, it's been a while since I've been over that way.

I've been getting back into walking this summer too, made much easier by the fact that I'm back home. I'm managing to get a couple of times most weeks after work, and I've noticed a big increase in my fitness. Back in May I struggled to walk over Gavel Fell, but last Wednesday evening I walked over Ladyside Pike, Hopeghyll Head and Whiteside wishing that I had time to do more at the end of the walk.

Cheers, Michael.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi Rich, glad to see you are getting the use of the kit, how are you finding the superlight bivvy, what size did you go for, i went for the standard size, but wish i had went for the extra large, mines has plenty of room to sleep in, but with the midge in full flow, i just wish i had got the larger size so that i could easily eat my meals in there and have more room for a good bottom scratch, still loving the weight of mine, might have to consider selling mine and going for the larger size. Me and Jason are just back from doing the Great glen way, form Fort William to Inverness over 5 days, about 73 miles i think, my complete weight of backpack with 1 litre of water 5 days food and all kit was 5.5kg, well pleased with that, hardly felt as if i had anything on my back at all and my barefoot trail shoes experiments are working out well, another walk with no blisters and fresh feet......

If you are planning a walk soon give me a shout and i will make an effort to pop along for it, even if its south of the border mate, we can compare all our new Mld kit....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich, glad to see you are getting the use of the kit, how are you finding the superlight bivvy, what size did you go for, i went for the standard size, but wish i had went for the extra large, mines has plenty of room to sleep in, but with the midge in full flow, i just wish i had got the larger size so that i could easily eat my meals in there and have more room for a good bottom scratch, still loving the weight of mine, might have to consider selling mine and going for the larger size. Me and Jason are just back from doing the Great glen way, form Fort William to Inverness over 5 days, about 73 miles i think, my complete weight of backpack with 1 litre of water 5 days food and all kit was 5.5kg, well pleased with that, hardly felt as if i had anything on my back at all and my barefoot trail shoes experiments are working out well, another walk with no blisters and fresh feet......

If you are planning a walk soon give me a shout and i will make an effort to pop along for it, even if its south of the border mate, we can compare all our new Mld kit....

The bivvy was good, plenty of bottom scratching room but eating in there I would be hard work I would have thought. It took my NeoAir a topquilt without any bother but I tell you what is wasn't half warm in there, I think I'm gonna look at one of Oookworks bug nets for warmer weather.
I had a few issues trying to get it in the right position so I could bungee the hood up to the TS loops, that'll come with practice though I reckon.
Loving the space in the Trailstar, I was laid in about a third of it with plenty of room to just chuck my gear about.

Should be planning a trip up to D&G with Gill at some point, Andy and Tony will probably tag along to I reckon. No big hills for me just yet though bud.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Awesome photos Rich, looks like a beautiful area to spend some time relaxing in.

That shot of Tony setting up reminds me of a scene from a Kevin Kostner movie called "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves"

Cheers Brian, glad you liked the piccies

I know exactly which scene you mean :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE