Lightweight-hill-food / wild-camping recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hope this is helpful to someone...

Lightweight Hillfood/Wildcamping food recipes and ideas.

The above is a link to my blog where I've written up my wild camping food tips. I was going to copy and paste it all into here, it's relatively long though! I'd really like to build on it with your input.

Here's a bit of it anyway...

I've been on many wild camping trips in Britain and over the years have tweaked and fiddled with the food I take. When I go on a long trek I don't want to have to go shopping in the middle of it. So I aim to carry all of the food I need. This doesn't out weigh my need to be safe though. So my pack will only weigh as much as I can, relatively, comfortably walk a full day with. This is a personal thing.

Basic principles...

Dehydrated food only
Lots of carbohydrate
Plenty of fat
Some protein
Minimal packaging
Reasonable cooking time
No waste producing foods. Any waste should be minimal, clean and not tins.

Following these principles I can carry enough food for at least 10 days. Including dog biscuits and all my kit for safe wild camping and hill walking. With the following treats and recipes I keep my energy levels up and minimise the desperation for a huge green salad at the end of the trip.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good post, I've just 'discovered' the pasta in a pouch and other similar pouch food. This method has been popular in the states for several years now and seems to be taking off in this country.

Tesco are doing small 80gm pouches of stuff like Chicken Tikka for 80p, add salad leaves and make up a sandwich for lunch? Add to 10p noodles for a quick lunch?

B&M stores are doing the big (two person?) pouches of Tikka, Thai curry for 99p per 568gm pouch

Are those pouches dehydrated Rik? I'll definitely look out for them if they are. If they are what is the make?

The issue I've had in the past with pre-flavoured packet foods is that having them everyday for two weeks can make you feel quite pants. I've decided it's because of the rubbish that can go into the flavouring. That's why I go for particular stock cubes (with less rubbish in them) and tom puree and maybe some foraged herbage. I find it really easy and cheaper that way.

Taking salad on my long trips isn't an option as it doesn't keep and is awkward to carry. I tried taking sprouting seeds with me on one 2 week jaunt. We fitted a brown plastic jar with a mesh lid and sprouted our own seeds for the two weeks. It worked really well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Hen

I tried the Princes Thai Chicken curry at the weekend which made a refreshing change to the super noodles and pasta & sauce meals I usually scoff.

I`ve been tempted to try the dehydrated veggies etc but they need to be soaked which usually puts me off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE