Lightweight footwear for the hills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's so much variety in approaches to how we all get out and about that I thought I'd ask for views on lightweight footwear.

I used to wear anything from Montreal Highlander trail shoes to innov8 roclites and even that old English orienteering / fell running shoe brand. They got year round Lakeland use and trips up to Scotland or down to Welsh hills. They lasted from 2.5 to 9 months of hard use. I went back to traditional, solid and heavy leather boot when I was carrying out son in a child carrier on my back and before that ok my front. I thought it would help as I used to scuff my fell shoes with the extra weight on my back.

Right now I'm thinking light is going to be right again. What's good in the lightweight footwear sector for the hills?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've never been a fan of lightweight treking shoes. but last year i was acting support for a mate running the west highland way ultra marathon. I bought a pair of Salomon X ultras and ended up doing the last 25 miles from Glencoe to Fort William in them. I have to say i was very impressed, good grip and comfortable. my feet were not sore at all (and i've never done 25 miles in 4hrs before)

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Big fan of Salomon as well, found them to fit me better than Brasher or Asolo. My ones are fairly old, on of the mid height ones with Vibram soles and goretex lined. All down to what fits ya really.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've had a few X ultra 3 but they're not really that good IME. I use them more as daily footwear for everything from cycling to walking around the supermarket. If I'm not wearing safety boots at work n I'm likely to be wearing the X ultra 3 shoes. Don't think of them as fell shoes though because grip on rock and mud/grass isn't good? A good pair of innov8 shoes beats them in every way I reckon. Just don't last as long.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I found that switching from heavy hiking boots to light fell shoes like roclites at their heavier variety 315 IIRC caused a bit of ache in the arch of the foot for a good few months. Also, I turned my ankle a lot too. It was all about strengthening your foot since you're no longer tying your foot and ankle into fairly rigid boots.

I also learnt that stability wasn't provided by the higher boot cuff but the footbed and heel cup. I learnt that low cuff, lightweight shoes caused less harm when I did turn my ankle. I should say that I used to turn my ankle a lot. Eventually shoe wearing meant my foot and ankle strengthened and that stopped. High cuff boots caused my ankle joint to stretch and move when I turned my ankle causing a lot more damage. I was more likely to end up decked with a sprain than just a stumble and run it out without a sprain.

Back in the day inov8 roclites cost £65 at Pete Bland sports, my local running shoe retailer. Now they're now £130 or £145 RRP. Is there anything cheaper?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have the X ultra 3 from them, trust me the grip isn't that good. Salomon footwear has been criticized in expert reviews I've read for not having the best grip shoes or boots of their quality usually have, especially wet grass. If you have any doubts about the try inov8 shoes, even the roclites are so much more grippy on most terrains. All in a lighter package for example 280g for a pair in their mid weight roclites, Salomon are nearer 365g. Not much but you can notice it after 25+ miles.

As I said I've had Salomon's better shoes a few times now and seriously don't rate them.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have a pair of Adidas Terrex approach shoes. Very much like Solomans but I can't fault them. I go to work in them, run in them, work out in them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE