Lightweight Bivvi advice needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Another one here who puts the sleep matt on the outside. There isn't enough room in the issue bivi bag for me plus my sleep matt. Fortunately my sleep matt (exped syn matt 7 UL) has the two edge tubes higher than the middle ones, so it's harder to fall off the side.

J

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Another one here who puts the sleep matt on the outside. There isn't enough room in the issue bivi bag for me plus my sleep matt. Fortunately my sleep matt (exped syn matt 7 UL) has the two edge tubes higher than the middle ones, so it's harder to fall off the side.

J

Maybe it's just me. I had always thought that by having the mat inside it would prevent you from sliding off of it as you might if it was on the outside. I've never done any of this before though so that was just my initial thoughts.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Spinaker repair tape. Very lightweight, strong and super sticky. used for sail repairs but i use it on pretty much everything. Does'nt stick to sil though mores the pity

Thnx, will check it out :)

Maybe it's just me. I had always thought that by having the mat inside it would prevent you from sliding off of it as you might if it was on the outside. I've never done any of this before though so that was just my initial thoughts.

You're not the only one.

I think it obviously depends on size of your mat and girth of your bivy. I purpossly chose the wide bivy so I had enough room for NeoAir and sleeping bag etc as I tend to move about in sleep.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thnx, will check it out :)

You're not the only one.

I think it obviously depends on size of your mat and girth of your bivy. I purpossly chose the wide bivy so I had enough room for NeoAir and sleeping bag etc as I tend to move about in sleep.

You would think that it stops you rolling off your sleep matt, but actually the reality is that if you're not careful, you roll over, and flip everything, resulting in the sleep matt being on top of you... It's generally a bad idea...

J

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You would think that it stops you rolling off your sleep matt, but actually the reality is that if you're not careful, you roll over, and flip everything, resulting in the sleep matt being on top of you... It's generally a bad idea...

J

Been there lol.

Or corkscrewed round you. :)

My best solution, with my BA issue bag, is to have my TAR prolite sml inside the bivvy and a CCF under the bivvy bag.

Surely using the peg-out points would solve that?

The loops on light weight bivis are NOT for pegging out but for hanging to dry, they'll probably get ripped out if you do.

A couple of point to bear in mind with the Terra Nova bag:

1) Iit doesn't have any mesh to keep the bugs at bay
2) It's constructed 100% from DWR nylon, laying in any water at all (even small drips on the ground cloth) will result in it being pressed through the fabric (sil-nylon is usually water proof for 5m head)

I use the standard size MLD Superlight bivi with the Exped Symat 7UL inside and 3mm ccf as a ground cloth, I'm around 65kg and with the Alpkit PD400 I find it a snug fit (not big enough for my winter bag).

My advice is to get some one to measure you up with your matt and bag and check sizing before ordering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE