Lights over Ladybower (well Upper Derwent Reservoir)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I went out for a overnight hike starting in Chapeltown, Sheffield, it went via Moor Hall and Broom Hill reservoir then on over the moors to Back Tor, Lost Lad, then ending at the Upper Derwent. I had to move my tarp/hammock from the edge of the reservoir, as the wind picked up and I couldn't angle it in to the wind, so I set it up again in the woods above the the water. I was snuggled up nice and warm when at 01:00hrs the wind picked up again, by 01:30hrs I had to pack it up, as I thought I may lose the tarp, I thought I'd walk down to Ladybower and have a wander until the first bus back to Sheffield.

So by 02:00hrs I was walking back along to waters edge, the sky was clear and the stars were amazing, then out over the water I saw two round dull orange lights one above the other (no more the 10ft apart), they were about 1 to 2 feet across, at first I thought it was them paper lantern things, but then they went against the wind, they didn't flicker, and they went up and over the dam wall.

Then it clouded over and the rain started, and that was it. So what do you think it was, I don't have a clue! and as with all these things my camera had run out of power hours before, so I can't even show you a blurred, fuzzy picture as proof.

Have you ever seen ought odd? Do you know what they were?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Jack, i think they are called Orbs, when taking pictures they show up when the flash hits rain or dust, but as you dont have that its some sort of gost (so its said). are there any grave sites near by, or stories from the area of murder and the like?????

anyway have a look at this link should help, sort of....

http://ghoststudy.com/a_what_are_orbs.html

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
You'd be surprised how those Chinese lanterns can react to differing air currents and cross winds as well as thermals. I've seen them flying at very low altitude in the Fens before, and they responded in a similar way to which you describe; the breeze took them up and over a riverbank whereupon they rapidly changed direction and followed the course of the river, all as though they were flying in formation! I knew they were lanterns though, as I could see them flickering.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I thought ball Lightning, but I thought they were blue, as for Barnes Wallace could be but there was no bounce :) I know that they're several plane crash sites around the area, as well a a church site under the waves, but I think they move the bodies before they flooded the valley. I thought Lanterns but that wind was strong enough to send my tarp horizontal to the ground, it was coming straight down the lake and the lights were going across it, then in to the wind and over the reservoir wall.

I think it just one of them things you sometimes see and just can't explain it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE