Lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not really bothered about the make of the cheapos. I believe smokers of a certain substance like the clipper I think as the flint assembly come out to use as a tamping device. They're so cheap I just keep one in every coat and bag, they sit for years and do the job you want. I have nice lighters too, including the ubiquitous Zippos. But the cheapy ones are so good and reliable.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I like my brass trench lighter :D

and my brass peanut lighter as an extra backup on my keychain

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
+1 for the clipper, if it's to go in a little survival tin type affair then the little "girly" version in a vibrant colour, buy a pink one to stop your mates forgetting to give you it back;)

You can drill a hole through clippers / swans and put a keyring through it in case you want to attach it to summat, the bit (spine) under the gas release button.

I accept no responsibility if you get it wrong and take your face off !

:)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I carry a turbo flame, and have a couple of cheapie plastic lighters kicking about in my kit....

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Always lost my clippers or had them pinched before they have had a chance to break. A can of gas, packet of flints and a clipper should last ages.

Anyone had a Howitt lighter before?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Nice bargain Rik_uk3, But always remember them being sold in the local town and they were the cheap Exploding ones. So you got to be careful where you get them from

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm a Clipper user, although I think the newer ones get through flints a lot quicker.

I'll take a Zippo in the colder months

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As a smoker it's zippo's for me however I always keep a clipper in my pack for emergency (or lazy) fire lighting.

Zippo's can be a bit tricky to light tinder with and of all the lighters you noted clippers tend to be the most reliable.
The flint part also comes out as you mentioned and despite using but for other reasons in my youth it is not a handle spark making device. :)

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've lit gas stove with the flint as a test but prefer to use the clipper whole. Yet to use one up as I lose them or just don't use them enough to run out of gas.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've lit gas stove with the flint as a test but prefer to use the clipper whole. Yet to use one up as I lose them or just don't use them enough to run out of gas.

There's 3 brand new ones sat on a rock at NY418144 if you're ever up there :togo:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Cheapo Gas lighters.
I seem to find Clippers by the roadside so have about three of them (I'm not a pothead though).
Bought a few of the really cheap non refillable lighters from Asda ages ago as well.

I also own one Zippo and really I've tried to like it. Its got the great rugged looking stainless steel case, the "CLINK" noise when it opens and closes, the big flame and looks dead cool:)
Plus it looks really nice with my slightly retro style Svea 123R camping stove...

However, it's actually just a bit crap really, all show and not enough go. If I leave it for a week without refilling it (if it gets used or not) the fuel will have evaporated away and it needs refilled.
Consequently the Svea has a Clipper stored with it, its far more reliable.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I after many years of owning lighters (as a non smoker) have now settled pretty much exclusively to using metal Clippers. I carry one as my EDC. I am a bit sad in as much I match the lighter to the knife I am carrying. I.e if I carry an Alox knife it will be a chrome Clipper if it is my Byrd tern it will be a matt black Clipper. The are extremely sturdy ( I have trod on one by mistake before now) look good and are cheap (usually under £4.00 delivered). I own Zippo,
Imco and peanut lighters and they have all let me down because primarily I do not use them every day so they dry up before use or have fallen apart inside. I also own plenty of pound shop specials and do have a soft spot for the ones with LED's and have a few of those dotted around the house and in various coat pockets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE