lighter kit 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Next we'll have a look at cooking equipment.

O.K. cooking kit,this is a solo cooking kit and will only be suitable for one person unless the other person brings his own cup ,spoon and dish when it will suffice for two.
I used to use a trangia 27k for myself as this contained everything for 2 people except dishes cups and cutlery,So really it was a basic cooking kit and not a cook and eat kit.I still had too add the other bits,although I generally ate out of the pan.This cookset weighed in at 980 grammes plus what ever cup and cutlery you chose.
My cook kit now weighs 405 grammes this is a complete set consisting of :-
pot with lid..................118g titanium
cup............................. 66g titanium
pot lifter...................... 28g aluminium
folding spork................. 17g titanium
extra spoon..................17g titanium
pot cosy......................60g home made from aluminium tape and bubble wrap
gas stove..................... 96g primus micron with igniter

All this kit is plenty for one person,if I am using the pot for eating out of then the cup can be used on the stove to boil water for a brew.

As a comparison Trangia also do a mini set which weighs in at 330g,if you add a cup spork and a cosy then the weight rises to 478g.
I know it seems a bit daft to be counting every gramme but in the cookset alone I have saved over half a pound.
The heaviest thing most of us will carry is fuel and water,we can't make water any lighter so it makes sense to use the most efficient fuel.This way we use less of it .
I have found that the most efficient fuel when compared by amount used to boil 1 litre of water is gas.
A 250g cannister will burn at full blast for 60 minutes and it takes 3 minutes to bring 1 litre to a rolling boil.That means 1 x 250g cannister will boil 20 litres (depending on conditions)I haven't found another fuel with this weight to water boiled ratio.
A few things to note about gas stoves:-
they are light
they don't perform well at low temperatures (sub zero)
they don't perform well at high altitudes
Most are very efficient and lightweight

A good way of conserving fuel with any stove is to only boil the amount of water you actually need,measure it every time.This way you are not boiling water that will only cool without being used, and using fuel to do it.If you do boil excess water,tip it back into your water container.It wont hurt the water that's already in there.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
That can still be lighter without losing comfort,
Ti pot,
Wood gas stove,
Freezer bag,
Spork,

I don't know the exact weight but I know that it's lighter if you want to take it into consideration :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
:confused:How can you know it's lighter if you don't know what it weighs?:confused:

A wood gas stove uses heavy fuel,how long will it burn on 250g of wood and how fast will it boil 1 litre?
A spork won't fold to fit inside my cup or pot

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Well I don't remember the exact figures but I can give you a rough recollection, the Pot is around 120g, the Stove is 87g, the Spork is 30g and the Frezer bag is around 10g,
The stove boils 1 cup of water per 2.5 - 3 mins and will burn for roughly 1.5 - 2 hours on one fill of the stove which might be less than 250g :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Well I don't remember the exact figures but I can give you a rough recollection, the Pot is around 120g, the Stove is 87g, the Spork is 30g and the Frezer bag is around 10g,
The stove boils 1 cup of water per 2.5 - 3 mins and will burn for roughly 1.5 - 2 hours on one fill of the stove which might be less than 250g :)

You need to check your figures
my pot 118 g your pot 120g
my stove 96g your stove 87g
my spork 17g your spork 30g???:yikes:
cosy 65g freezer bag 10g
total 296g total 350g

even if you use a standard spork you will still be heavier than me
and still have no cup or pot lifter.

You should check figures or do some research before criticising other threads:nono:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
cosy 65g freezer bag 10g
total 296g total 350g

You should check figures or do some research before criticising other threads:nono:

And you should check your maths!!!! Adds up to 247gram..... Lol

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
^^

I think the point stands that regardless if you go with sappers or slammers fuel preference they're both still HALF the weight of the original set up .

I do like titanium cookwear - my buddy just bought a set and I was pretty sceptical till I tried it. I still like the wide base of my army canteen for frying but I'm thinking the ideal solution would be to try and find a Ti equivilant of a zebra billy that'll take the diametre of gas cannister, if I can find one! My cooking gear weight would dramatically shrink.

sapper, can I ask how easy has it been to pare down the weight of your 'personal items' and cordage. Mine all adds up :X

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
cosy 65g freezer bag 10g
total 296g total 350g

Mine is 227g without a frying pan (the pot actually weighs 100g and the LMF spork might weigh less I don't know)
By cooking freezerbag meals the only use for the pot is boiling water which can then be used as a cup or mug, also you haven't taken into consideration the weight of your canister so your total weight is 405g + canister.

I'm not trying to criticize you, you have made a thread about lighter kit, I was simple trying to add to the thread by mentioning my own setup there is no need to be pessimistic in your view of my comment.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cans of gas will crank the weight up and if on an extended trip you may need a few, whereas a woodburner the fuels largely at your feet? the plastic spork is lighter than the titanium one? and cheaper also the ones you get one ready to eat fruit packs are lighter still. Whilst i can see the merits of going light i can also see it being taken a little too far. I see the outdoors as exercise as well as enjoyment and surely carrying a few extra pounds is better for burning off the sunday lunch and post beer kegs as well as muscle development? still good to read your weight savings. I suppose the ultimate goal would be the clothes on your back and a knife and a water bottle, everything else can be done in the woods with a little knowledge.... Tis a good post

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
nice one. My cooking kit comprimises of; aluminium billy can and lid (the frying pan type) plastic spork, swedish issue folding cup, tin windshield and coke can meths stove at 275g.

The windshield helps the efficency of the stove, and I can carry as much or as little fuel with me as needed, a downside to gas. If you are interested I will wiegh the fuel too. The lot cost me £8.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE