Lighter Fluid

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This may sound like an odd enquiry but does anyone know of a a supplier for small containers of Lighter Fluid.

It's not just for petrol lighters in the field but it's a really useful solvent as well but I can only find it in 100ml tins which are a bit lumpy for carrying around.

You used to be able to get little rubber capsules of the stuff which were about right for recharging a lighter but I can't seem to find any of those now. :confused:

Alternatively a small safe container that is "really" air / liquid proof and has a small spout that fluid could be transfered to. Most I have tried still seem to allow evaporation somehow.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Wayland,
I've recently seen a discussion that included a Zippo fuel container that was part of a keychain - I'l have a mooch about and see if I can find a link.

Ogri the trog

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
ive got one of those zippo fuel containers on my key ring and ive found when ive taken it out in my pocket it leaked, this has usually been when ive taken it from indoors to a cold outside,so much in fact that when i came to use it,it was empty so a quick review from me usless ,suppose i could fill it with matches :tapedshut

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
addyb said:
I have one of the Zippo key-ring cannisters too. If it's leaking, unscrew it, and rub some vaseline on the o-rings. It stops the leaks.

Adam

I would not use Vaseline, as it can dissolve a lot of types of rubber...
Go to a divers shop and get o-ring grease, or (probably better) a automotive supply and get some o-ring grease...

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
heeby said:
ive got one of those zippo fuel containers on my key ring and ive found when ive taken it out in my pocket it leaked, this has usually been when ive taken it from indoors to a cold outside,so much in fact that when i came to use it,it was empty so a quick review from me usless ,suppose i could fill it with matches :tapedshut

Hmmmm, I need to check the ones I have in my kits...
I keep a Zippo lighter in there, but(even with a ranger band around it) it will not hold fuel for a year, so I keep one of the Zippo fuel bottles with it...

I wish someone would bring back the old Zippo TYPE lighter that had the little button that pumped the liquid from the airtight part to the wick compartment... They did not have the evaporation problems that the Zippo did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE