Lighter fluid alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I was just looking on the zen stoves site and they put Coleman fuel and lighter fluid (zippo type) in the same fuel catagory. Doea this mean you can use coleman fuel in a lighter, or and I know this is a bit of a leap here panel wipe? I have heard that this is a great substitute for coleman fuel.
So the question is can i run my Zippo on panel wipe?
If this is a totally stupid question i will get my coat.

mark

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
markheolddu said:
I was just looking on the zen stoves site and they put Coleman fuel and lighter fluid (zippo type) in the same fuel catagory. Doea this mean you can use coleman fuel in a lighter, or and I know this is a bit of a leap here panel wipe? I have heard that this is a great substitute for coleman fuel.

mark

Yes you can.

Andy

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
markheolddu said:

mark

what is panel wipe ?

David

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Fingernail polish remover, kerosene, naphtha, mineral spirits, turpentine and many other volatile fluids may be used, just be sure you DON'T use gasoline (automobile petrol) as it is explosive.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
You can run a Zippo off of just about anything. I'll try and list everything that I've filled mine with:

- Zippo fuel (self explanatory, it just works better than everything else. Especially with the new formulation. It stinks less)

- Diesel

- Rubbing alcohol (doesn't work very well. Too high of a water content)

- Methylated Spirits ( evaporates far too quickly)

- Kerosene (doesn't work very well, screws up the wick)

- Coleman stove fuel (similar to Zippo fluid, but there's something in the proper fuel that slows down evaporation)

- Vodka (Don't say it, I should've been drinking it)

- Bug Spray (Does NOT work. If you use it, be prepared to buy a new wick)

I think that's about it so far.

Adam

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
BOD said:
Does anyone know (or think) whether ghee or clarified butter or olive oil would work in a Zippo??

I would imagine not. I don't think they have a high enough vapour pressure, or are flammable enough, to be able to ignite from a small spark.

Rick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE