Lightening the load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
So all of this talk about light weight kit where are the lines actualy drawn regarding heavy weight, average, light and ultralight pack base weights?

I have my 2-3 night hiking kit down to around 14 kilos which includes everything on my back only...

backpack (almost 5lbs so could do much better here)
tent ( vango banshee 200)
cookset (titan kettle and mug, ti spork, diy remote fed meths stove, wind shield, mini bic and pot stand)
200 ml meths
2 litres of water in a camel back pack
water filter kit (katadyn combi and chlorine dioxide tabs)
Down sleeping bag
sleeping mat
waterproofs
3 days food (2500 calories per day as I need to loose weight!!)
SAK
compass
phone
head torch
1 AA torch
1 spare AA battery
map
GPS
monocular
First aid kit
spare socks/pants
Another mini bic lighter

If I spent a lot more on the backpack and shelter I could knock 2 kg off straight away. Dropping the filter and use a sock then puri-tabs could knock another half a kilo off. The rest is pretty much as low as I can make it without spending fortunes and compromising my comfort level.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Ok cool, well I think I get the jist of the clothing aspect of going a bit more lightweight, it would appear I take way too many clothes and that for a weekend a set of day clothes and night clothes and a spare set of undies are the way forward!!
Defo looking into the morino wool baselayers though, I have loads of lightweight fleeces, lightweight waterproof and a slightly better Northface waterproof shell so Im good on that aspect I think!!
Would you say morino or woolen socks work as well as the layers??

Next think up is my shelter, Im not quite into the whole tarp and bivi/hammocking yet, nor can I afford the small fortunes for these 'techncal' tents I see about!!

Do any of you have any experience of these :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Peak-Minilite-Two-Tent/dp/B0017HO182

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Both weigh in around the kilo mark which is less than half the weight of my current tent (but lot less room mind) and bth are within my price range for now, i fully appreciate that you get what you pay for, but the beauty of you guys and the font of knowledge in your possesion is that you forever suprise me with little bargains andgreat bits of kit!!!

Thanks for all the help so far guys (my back,hips and knees thank you too lol)
Steve

The Amazon feedback says a lot, and I quote;
This is not a two man tent, its not even a small childs tent. Its basically not a tent.
This might be a useful addition to your hiking trip if one of your companions died and you needed somewhere to store him or her while awaiting the authorities, but then only if you wished the body to be soaking wet, (which the inside of the tent was even tho it hadnt rained)

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
The Amazon feedback says a lot, and I quote;
The Amazon feedback says a lot....

Almost ****** myself laughing. As funny as the "veet" hair removal feedback.

I am a big merino fan but also have some baselayers that have a silver coating (bought in go outdoors a year or so ago, brand name of argentum or something similar). Silver is naturally antibacterial when combined with a wet wipe shower each morning can be worn for best part of a week before it reeks.

Travelling light, A big help has been vacuum packing food as it reduces all the cooking needs to a pot and mug for water boiling, eat the food out of the bag and the water is for tea with no washing up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE