Light weight tarp material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for a tarp material that is light weight and small to pack. Thought about parachute nylon. But (from another of my threads) not sure of its water proofness... or ability to hold a treatment... any thoughts...

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
Parachute nylon isnt waterproof, but does stop light rain by allowing it to run down the inside after penetrating.Heavy rain comes straight through as a mist.
The most pactical material in terms of lightness and waterproofness that I have found is silnylon, not too expensive but not really cheap either.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
How about something like a garden seat cover from the pound shop? Very lightweight, waterproof & cheap, but not terribly robust. The one on the chair on my patio holds water very well. Of course, you'd have to modify it.

Dave

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
See the thread for cheap Lidl tarp posted in resources, £20 and the material seems reasonable stuff, taped seams etc.,...........atb mac

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
What's your budget?

If your feeling flush I'd go for cuben fiber, after that silnylon is a good choice. There are plenty of PU coated nylon fabrics available too which are reasonably light weight, I used a 2oz version for my MYOG Tarp

Matt

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Are there any plastic ones which are worth while?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got a load of lightweight nylon from fabrics n stuff for £1 a metre. Made my own tarp out of that, I did proof it myself using fabsil [I've hear of people mixing silicone with white spirit themselves, or even using weather brick sealant - I'm not sure about the effectivness of those].

IIRC it was 2.8m long [alittle on the short side really] by 2.2m wide and weighed in around 870g [complete with ridgle line, tie-outs and stakes] I've been in a little rain but nothing heavy and has kept me dry - I really need to put it up and re-proof it again...

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Not doubting you mate... I just wonder about its longevity. On another note. In your experience. Would painting it all with the silicone mix work?

yeah i reckon it would, thats all fabsil is basically. My mates dad used to make his own with clear silicone and mix it with something, he said it was paraffin but i doubt that as it would never dry

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Think I will give it a shot on a spare bit of fabric

point north (pro-fabrics) do a fabric called silicone elastomer nylon which is fairly well proofed,

as far as packability, its about halfway between your standard ripstop pu nylon and silnylon.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE