Light weight rucksacks that can carry 20+ kilo's with comfort... do they exist??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, my load lightening quest continues and now I'm contemplating on the rucksack itself. I currently use either a Lowe Alpine sting or a civilian Lowe Alpine rucksack which are each nearly 2.5kg in weight alone (sting minus the side rocket pockets).

These rucksacks, especially the sting make loads up to 35kg feel like almost nothing which is very impressive, however 35kg is not a load I carry in anything but testing purposes so my question is are there any rucksacks on the market that are significantly lighter than my current 2.5kg sacks, that can comfortably carry a 20kg (45lb) load yet are durable enough to be reliable during a multi-day trip/expedition? My gut feeling is that it can't be done, but hoping otherwise!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Some of the bigger GoLite packs are good for heavy loads, not sure about 20kg though.

awesome thanks, they're websites says
Maximum Recommended Load: 60 lbs, 28kg
however nothing regarding comfort levels, will do some further research on this becuase at 1.6kg compared to 2.5kg is a significant weight saving indeed!

rg598

Native
20 kg (45 lb) is a lot of weight. I am assuming it has a correspondingly large volume. I have a REI Flash 62 pack for most trips. It weighs exactly 3 lb (1.37 kg) and has a full internal frame and 62 litter capacity. That makes it much more comfortable when carrying heavier loads than a frame-less pack like those offered by GoLite. That being said, the most I have carried in mine is 35 lb. For heavier loads I switch to a 80 litter pack, which is a heavier pack.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I regularly carry up to 15kg in my 600g GG Mariposa plus on multi day backpacking trips, pushed it to 17kg once on a 7 dayer. 20kg is far too much though.

Gregory have a rep for taking slightly heavier loads comfortably.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
20 kg (45 lb) is a lot of weight. I am assuming it has a correspondingly large volume. I have a REI Flash 62 pack for most trips. It weighs exactly 3 lb (1.37 kg) and has a full internal frame and 62 litter capacity. That makes it much more comfortable when carrying heavier loads than a frame-less pack like those offered by GoLite. That being said, the most I have carried in mine is 35 lb. For heavier loads I switch to a 80 litter pack, which is a heavier pack.

The bigger GoLites do have a frame I think Ross, the Quest and Terrano ring a bell

I'm happy with my 8.5kg in a ULA Ohm for most multi day trips

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cant go wrong with an Osprey, they have a number of models that would fit your parameters.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ok I've had a good look at every suggestion made here but nothing has been conclusive, and the light packs that do seem to be able to carry a 20kg load comfortably are only marginally lighter than my current 2.5kg packs however the REI Flash 62 that rg598 suggested has a few reports suggesting that 20kg (45lbs) can be carried comfortably in these, and at 1.3kg they are a huge weight saving but I cannot find these to buy in the UK and there was a review that said the stitching/seams were weak!

Last edited:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thats a tough question! I've tried multiple rucksacks over the years and have found Deuter's carrying system to be the best. What size (L) bag were you looking for? Their packs are generally over your suggested 2.5kg weight but I've packed them with multi day trek kit, including heavy field surveying kit and multiple full water bottles and didnt have an issue even in desert conditions or rocky areas.

Plus their build quality is second to none, yet to find even an untrimmed thread!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Thanks for the feedback on Deuter rucksacks, they'll definitely be on my radar if I ever need a new winter pack. I've heard the ULA Catalyst is rated at 40lbs and that user feedback suggests 45lbs (20kg) would be okay inside one of these, but I wonder if it would stand up to the abuse of a 12-14 day thru hike with it being just shy of 1500g in the medium size. Does anyone know if these can be bought in the UK because to buy from the USA equates to £190 which includes shipping.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the feedback on Deuter rucksacks, they'll definitely be on my radar if I ever need a new winter pack. I've heard the ULA Catalyst is rated at 40lbs and that user feedback suggests 45lbs (20kg) would be okay inside one of these, but I wonder if it would stand up to the abuse of a 12-14 day thru hike with it being just shy of 1500g in the medium size. Does anyone know if these can be bought in the UK because to buy from the USA equates to £190 which includes shipping.

Ultralight Outdoor Gear sell ULA now, I got my Ohm from them last summer

I worked it out to be around the same price once you'd factored in taxes and Royal Mail fees.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ultralight_adventure_equipment_catalyst_75_litre_pack.html

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your injuries from packing heavy loads must have healed, well done:)

I've not used Golite packs but have been told their sizing is spot on, if its says a 50l pack then that is what you get.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just checked- the Deuter Futura 32L is UNDER your weight allowance- at just over 3lb.

Also their 60L Alpine pack is in at around 3lb 8oz. However it does not feature the air mesh system, but does offer good padding and load distribution
http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=118

32l is too small, the 50l lowe alpine sting is the perfect size for what I'll be taking, and the alpine model is only 300g lighter which is not significant enough to justify spending money on replacing the rucksack. It would have to be atleast 700g less before I would consider replacing.

@Rik, yes healed nicely thanks.

@Shewie thanks for the link, I see they are £224, so definitely not going to bother to be honest, just too much money for something that might not even work well with 20kg. I would consider it if it was guaranteed comfortable at 20kg load, though. There's just as many reports that they are rubbish at anything over 15kg (35lbs) as there are that they are perfectly fine at 20kg (45lbs), so it's all too vague and inconclusive :(

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
if you have a look at ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk they have a link to comparison charts on the front page ,these might give you a better idea with all the info together

cheers andrew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE