Light Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes, you follow a turtle up away from the lake and watch for them to dig and then help yourself. All the other animals help themselves too.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I have a hex 3 or what ever they are called these days. Brilliant flexible bit of kit - very light too. My only word of warning is that you need to put them up first, get them wet - let them dry and the then just for piece of mind re-seal the seams. It is no big deal with a tin of Fabsil. I have used mine in filthy weather and then stuff sacked it for the off - no worries. Only one pole too or a good tree limb - not elm of course. I found the Golite folk immensely helpful too.

Stephen

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
cool, thanks! will look that up :)

the egg sucking thing is a saying: "like trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs"

refering to teaching someone something they already know, sometimes better than you, but I've NO idea where it came from... neither of my grandmothers were into egg sucking... perhaps something to do with being toothless?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Another vote for the underblanket / hammock combo. Have used it all year round, with either the hammock quilt or a sleeping bag - toasty warm!

I tried the half inflated thermarest, but didn't get on with it, so made an underblanket from an old sleeping bag. I now have the Snugpak version and it is much better than my attempt!

Simon

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
After a wonderful weekend of camping, somewhat off the beaten track, I have come to the conclusion that I need lighter kit. And warmer!

Hi Iona, glad to see you got out! I really think Aussiepom's advice is spot-on, in a word,"prioritise". The other big word for me is, "environment". Where I live, there are climate zones ranging from alpine to desert, all can be encountered over the course of one outing. I really do enjoy my various hammock set-ups, but remember once upon a time these things were called "jungle" hammocks.

My Hennesey Hammock is just about the most comfortable thing I own, except when I wake up cold which I tend not to enjoy. It's kind of heavy for what it is, but it can be used on the ground with the tarp pitched low like, a normal tarp. Once you start bringing poles as a means to set it up, you are headed directly away from simplicity which is one of the virtues of hammocking. Poles won't make your kit any lighter, no poles.

There are plenty of tutorials on hammock making, if you need more than one hammock this might be cheaper in the long run. Plus you can add any feature you like, such as double bottoms. A true jungle hammock needs a double bottom otherwise you get bitten where your (naked cause it's so hot) body contacts the hammock. Not a problem when you are inside a sleeping bag in cooler regions, but useful again when you need to add insulation. What you are sleeping on top of, is just as important as what is on top of you. You can have an artic sleeping bag and be cold all night long if you are sleeping on the bare ground even in mild conditions. A closed-cell foam sleeping pad is cheap and often useful throughout the day.

For me, the bushcraft aspect comes into play with site selection of my spot for the night and making the most of available local materials to help ease my pack weight while at the same time leaving no evidence of my having been in that place. The less carp I need to buy, the less money I'll need which frees up time to go do what it is that I like to do. Priorities.

I am supposed to be working at the moment, but I'd say do a search on "Grandma Gatewood" to get an idea of what can be done, by whom and with what. I enjoy alot of the kit aspect myself, but lately when I'm thinking about a purchase I ask myself, "What would Grandma Gatewood say about this?" Her answer is a qoute that shouldn't be too hard to find.

I may have a little too much kit her but I sleep in a Mini Hammock (Net type) under a Uk Army Issue basha (Tarp) with a roll mat (10mm thick (full length)) on top of the hammock then I have my sleeping bag which is inside a goretex bivvy bag.

The roll mat insulates excelently & the bivvy bag provides protection from the wind at the sides & top.

I've never been cold in this set up and the comfort factor is at Wow!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE