Life below zero- series

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've just started watching a series on Netflix called 'Life below zero' about people living in Alaska.

Absolutely brilliant .....a dream life :)

Anybody else seen it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. But I have a cousin who's just moved to Alaska this year. She accepted a position to teach at a native village, Napaskiak, of a little over 400. The school board furnishes her with an apartment. The village is inaccessible by road; only by air (or boat until the freeze)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Was OK but that Sue woman is getting up my nose a bit.

Don't know if its just me but I was finding the whole fuel theft thing slightly unbelievable.

Closest neighbour 300 miles away and yet they still manage to steal hundreds of gallons of fuel? Then she mentions that they must have flown it out? No idea who did it then...
Plus the whole walking across to the next cabin and totally unable to see a thing wasn't working for me. The camera had a pretty good view.
Now obviously I do understand that there will be occasions where the lined really are a life or death thing but...

"Sue has to make her way from the sofa to the kitchen sink but she needs a fixed line, she's just got past her pot noodle and is totally dis-orientated, if she doesn't get to the sink soon SHE MIGHT DIE!'

On the whole I thought that Sue was hamming it up and the editing team could learn a LOT from that Happy People: A Year in the Taiga.
Drop the dramatic music and the "If (insert name here) doesn't (insert task here) they MIGHT DIE" bit.

The couple seem pretty OK so far though.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Was OK but that Sue woman is getting up my nose a bit.

Don't know if its just me but I was finding the whole fuel theft thing slightly unbelievable.

Closest neighbour 300 miles away and yet they still manage to steal hundreds of gallons of fuel? Then she mentions that they must have flown it out? No idea who did it then...
Plus the whole walking across to the next cabin and totally unable to see a thing wasn't working for me. The camera had a pretty good view.
Now obviously I do understand that there will be occasions where the lined really are a life or death thing but...

"Sue has to make her way from the sofa to the kitchen sink but she needs a fixed line, she's just got past her pot noodle and is totally dis-orientated, if she doesn't get to the sink soon SHE MIGHT DIE!'

On the whole I thought that Sue was hamming it up and the editing team could learn a LOT from that Happy People: A Year in the Taiga.
Drop the dramatic music and the "If (insert name here) doesn't (insert task here) they MIGHT DIE" bit.

The couple seem pretty OK so far though.

Haha...yep I think you've summed it up! There's a lot of unanswered questions about her fuel and why's she got such a large camp with nobody else there?

I like the young lad whose a trapper/hunter too..

Haggis

Nomad
I weary of the whole "My life hangs in the balance if I don't harvest a ptarmigan or a hare" bit. I'd reckon everyone's life hangs in some sort of a balance, but it takes a real drama queen to rant on about it endlessly. Herself watches "Life Below Zero" quite faithfully, and I on the other hand drive her mad with my comments while she watches the show. Every time someone says, "If I go out on the thin ice, I could fall through, and there's no one here to help me", it drives me nuts. Just don't go out on the ice then, wait until it thickens, or move someplace that doesn't have ice. I'm out in winter, every day, and it gets down to -40 here fairly often in winter. Up in "Life Below Zero" land they are fretting the dangers of -40, while I and 100,000 others like me simply are snowshoeing out in it to someplace for tea and lunch. In fairness though, listening to Sue is a hoot, and absolute hoot.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Seems that Sue runs the hunting camp which is why there's so many buildings but you can't tell me that if everyone needs to be flown in there that fuel has just walked with nobody who might know who took it. Ask the local pilots? How many of them are there?
Unless its the world least believable insurance job.

I do like the couple with the tattooed chin woman,Chip and Agness? Agness just seems to get on with things.
Problem is I can't watch Sue much. I assume the crew are asking her leading questions all the time cos she often seems to be answering a question with her comments but could they perhaps lead those questions in a direction other than 'DANGER, WILL ROBINSON DANGER!' And maybe drop the drama a bit?

I'm interested in their daily life and how they do things, not the HeliAxmenIceroadDeadliestcatch hamming it up parts.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, Sue is a doom and gloomer.... I just figured that someone had been living there and using the fuel etc, syphoned some out for their tundra vehicle?

I'm watching it for the over all thing, there's some good stuff in it.

Haggis

Nomad
Chip, of "Chip and Agness", is a member on the Bushcraft USA forum. He posts there in frequently and seems to be a completely level headed fellow. Of all of the people on all of these "HeliAxmenIceroadDeadliestcatch" shows, I like Chip and Agness best. They live in harsh unforgiving place, they work hard, they have a family, and they seem to take everything calmly in stride.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE