Lidl Stuff

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Dougster said:
On a budget fine, but more just because of the price? We're just sanctioning the system.
you can say it about a lot of things though bud, i hate it as much as you possibly but when you take everyday goods like tea,coffee and sugar not to mention other foods there's not much we can do, as the fair trade stuff is sometimes twice as much as "normal" items it comes down to basic economics

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Dougster said:
It transpires that workers producing the clothing for Primark do so for $8 per week (75p per day). Can Aldi afford to pay more on these prices?
Aldi pay their English managers something like £38,000 a year, and their shop staff £6.10 an hour.
Most of the day to day products are manufactured in the EU. Nearly all of Aldi’s goods are private label, made under strict cost control, but still within the EU’s stricter laws, Aldi keep a restricted range of good that people really want, and very little of what is called impulse buy/shopping.

The stores are tiny in comparison to others in the same market and are packed pretty tightly, they keep only stuff that sells quickly, and are willing to run out of stock rather than have waste inventory. No credit cards, new distribution methods all over, meaning they can make up to 30% saving just in the distributions costs alone (something like £300 per lorry per day) Bring your own bags or buy them, saving 100,000 bags per month. (Even at 10 a penny that is still a saving) Few trolleys and only at the bigger stores save £500 per unit, and you have to pay to use them, so shoppers tend to return them, negating the need for outside staff.
All in all a lot of bigger stores could learn a hell of a lot about selling what the people want at a price that they can afford. I mean who needs 80 different brands of baked beans. And seventy types of tea bags or thirty brands of drinking chocolate. My local superstore store has a double isle of canned vegetables, including sixteen different types of tinned tomatoes, chopped, mashed, with herbs, with garlic, low sugar, low salt, low juice, hi juice, low IQ two isles is 2x14 metres of tinned vegetables.

30% of food bought from super markets is thrown away unopened. Supermarkets calculate a 7% wastage before it even gets to the shelves. I used to work for a supermarket chain (Ok I was a contractor) and they had a waste compactor that was changed every few days. One smallish store 20 tonnes per week, week in week out. Food wasted because housewives want it on the shelves, fresh every hour, ring a bell and they like Pavlov’s dogs come running. Not caring that any “fresh” bread on the shelve unsold is coated in blue dye and trashed
Aldi don’t do it like that, they sell cheap and when it’s gone, you are out of luck. M&S used to do the same (I worked there too) All it means is if you want it, you have to get there earlier.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
big_daddy_merc said:
you can say it about a lot of things though bud, i hate it as much as you possibly but when you take everyday goods like tea,coffee and sugar not to mention other foods there's not much we can do, as the fair trade stuff is sometimes twice as much as "normal" items it comes down to basic economics

Funnily enough Lidl have just lauched their own Fairtrade product range called Fairglobe.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That goes without saying, but getting sucked into buying something you don't really need because it's cheap will add to the demand for ever cheaper products and more waste, in this case of non-biodegradable products.

We could do this ad nauseum, but as long as people think before they buy, then we're making a start.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Fair enough Dougster, and I share your view. Having looked at both Aldi and Lidl [both new to me] I'm begining to see that they are different to the others, and stock EU stuff that the big 3 don't bother with.

The FAK once I got it home and opened up was'nt full of third world plasters and bandages like some I have come across, but a high quality bit of kit [German] with some of those dressings [like shaped finger plasters] that are'nt easy to come across.

All in all a great kit, obviously put together by someone who understands what's need for an outdoors person. Quite honestly it approached what many here would put together as their own custom kit.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Appologies if its already been mentioned, but I've just called into Aldi and they've got a 5 led head torch with batteries for £3.49 (they're not exactly Petzl but OK as a spare for the car).

Also Nalgene style 1L bottles £2.99, a large (70ish L) rucksack £17 and foam sleeping rolls for £3 somthing.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

Went into Aldi (again) and found a non-stick camping pan set.

Consisting of

1 shallow pan (frying pan) 200mm X 35mm
1 large pot 180mm X 85mm
1 small pot 176mm X 84mm

1 Nylon grip handle
1 soft fibre cleaning cloth
1 mesh storage bag

All for £6.99, so I got two

Next thing to check is if they fit the mock trangia cook sets I bought from Lidl a while back
icon_rolleyes.gif
And they do...Brilliant Two deep pots fit in with a smaller one from the kit inside those as well then it all fits into the mesh bag...HAPPY BUNNY
icon_thumright.gif

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Both companies are German owned, so of course tey are well thought out and efficient! Some of the larger stores could learn a lot from these two, I hope some more of the German supermarkets make it across, apart from Real (pronounced Ree-al, al as in a blokes name!) which is a bloodyrip off!

The missus likes them because it reminds her of home!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE