Fleece Sleeping bag - £4.99

06_4230_b.jpg

Trangia Clone £7.99

06_4526_b.jpg

Compact halogen torches £4.99

06_6186_b.jpg

Folding Spade £4.99

see http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060904.index.ar1

They might be rubbish but I have been told the Fleece sleeping bags make good liners and are really noticable when used with your normal bag during winter and The stoves are a bit thin but perfectly useable by adults who don't boil them dry :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Seems perfectly reasonable. I think the "folded" refers to folded in two to make a sleeping bag, as opposed to spread out flat like a blanket, rather than "folded up to go in your bag" which is the way I suspect you interpreted it.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Those torches seem a good price. I think the front section slides forward to reveal 360* light so it can be used as a mini-lantern, magnetic base too apparantly.

(Although I could be wrong :eek:)

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
A friend of mine is an outdoor education instructor, last year he mentioned that one of his students had bought the rucksack, he said that it was the dogs danglies.

No idea how long it would last though.

Stewey. :D

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
scanker said:
Seems perfectly reasonable. I think the "folded" refers to folded in two to make a sleeping bag, as opposed to spread out flat like a blanket, rather than "folded up to go in your bag" which is the way I suspect you interpreted it.

Ahh I see, silly me :)

Thanks Scanker :buttkick:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
By the way, the trangia stove is huge! You could comfortably cook for two adults and two kids if you are doing simple stuff ie, frying some sausages and cooking a bit of that lovely flavoured rice. The egg in the picture looks like a chicken egg, but I believe it is actually an ostrich egg, gives you some idea of scale!!! ;)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
These are on offer from Thursday the 7th, but how I wish I had some when picking Wild Cherries a few weeks back. These really would have been handy and saved an awful lot of time and effort, not to mention more than doubled the amount of fruit I could have collected. :rolleyes:

Has anybody used these (or similar) before? How do they work, I imagine you just kind of knock the fruit into the cotton bag? :confused:

Cheers and ATB....Stu http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060907.p.Telescopic_Fruit_Picker.ar7

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some people eh :rolleyes: although it might just be a case of Lild being able to undercut by a long way because of bulk buying etc Who knows. Although i'd know which one I'd buy :D

That fruit picker looks good, althogh most of my foraging is berries etc and i'm not sure it would be much good for that....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The torch is good value, magnetic base, metal casing, when you pull the bulb unit, it opens out to reveal an amber flashing beacon, not a white light, but still useful in an emergency. The cheap radio is ok too, lightweight am/fm, mono, but supplied with stereo headphones (ok as a standby for your ipod). The treking shirts are lightweight also, good size chest pocket, good for summer/autumn

Mounted a Primus Varifuel in the cook set, works fine.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’ve just tried out my Trangia clone from Lidl and I’m a bit uneasy. Weather conditions were dry with a temp of 22°C and slight breeze. I tried boiling 500ml cold water in a small stainless billy (Colemans) with lid. It took 18 minutes - this does not bode well for my breakfast fry up. :eek: On investigation it does not seem to be going into “gas burner” mode (I’ve looked at the burner in the dark and no flames are coming from the pin holes round the edge of the burner even after 20 minutes). Meths seems to flow freely though the pinholes when I empty the burner. Also, it doesn’t seem to be using much meths; the instructions suggest it should use about 1mm a minute but after 20 minutes it had only gone down by 6 mm (at that rate it will burn 1 hr 40 min rather than the 35min the instructions say is the maximum run time).

Is there a trick to lighting them to get the “gas burner” mode to start?
Or is there a fault with this particular burner?
Has anyone else had the same problem with the Lidl product?

Thanks.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Lidl by Lidl, they give you everything you ever dreamed of!

Where's that girl camping, Kew gardens, and why is she outside without a bivvy?? I'll complain to Lidl!! tomorrow!

I like those lidl rocks in the shovel shot, they realy give you an idea of the size of the shovel (as long as you know how big the rocks are of course).

Lidl rocks!! I'm waiting for them to make a riveted full tang knife with firesteel sheath and lanyard for £2.99

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
malcolmc said:
I’ve just tried out my Trangia clone from Lidl and I’m a bit uneasy. Weather conditions were dry with a temp of 22°C and slight breeze. I tried boiling 500ml cold water in a small stainless billy (Colemans) with lid. It took 18 minutes - this does not bode well for my breakfast fry up. :eek: On investigation it does not seem to be going into “gas burner” mode (I’ve looked at the burner in the dark and no flames are coming from the pin holes round the edge of the burner even after 20 minutes). Meths seems to flow freely though the pinholes when I empty the burner. Also, it doesn’t seem to be using much meths; the instructions suggest it should use about 1mm a minute but after 20 minutes it had only gone down by 6 mm (at that rate it will burn 1 hr 40 min rather than the 35min the instructions say is the maximum run time).

Is there a trick to lighting them to get the “gas burner” mode to start?
Or is there a fault with this particular burner?
Has anyone else had the same problem with the Lidl product?

Thanks.
I bought one of these yesterday as a spare to stick in my bug out bag, so after reading your post, I thought I'd give it a go.
My burner lit up as it should do, but I have to report no greater success than you.
37 minutes and it looked as though it might come to a rolling boil, but never did with a litre of water in the broadest based pan.
I stuck the 1 pint trangia kettle on it too after 8 minutes I got bored, went , well never mind where, but at 9 and a half minutes it had boiled.
I didn't have time to try the real Trangia burner in it, but might have a go tomorrow.
I also suspect that these are not meant to be used indoors and that as the Trangia ads state, the more the breeze/wind, the better they burn, so maybe there is scope for trying it out in the open????

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is an indent around the top of the Lidl burner, after filling the burner (2 thirds full) pour a little meths in the indent and light. You should see a big improvement in performance, and remember, the flame spread is very different when you put a pan on the stove, hope this helps

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
rik_uk3 said:
There is an indent around the top of the Lidl burner, after filling the burner (2 thirds full) pour a little meths in the indent and light. You should see a big improvement in performance, and remember, the flame spread is very different when you put a pan on the stove, hope this helps
Cheers for that, but I suspect that the priming only really helps it warm up. The burner was burning as well as it ever will and I did give it time to warm up before testing. I can't honestly see what the pan on the stove and flame spread might mean. I put the broadest and flattest pan on the stove to ensure the greatest surface area for the heat to hit the pan and to mitigate against heat loss around a smaller pan. I think that there are three options.
1. try a real Trangia burner in it and see if there is a difference. If there is then buy a proper burner. If not go to 2.
2. try it outdoors in a breeze. If it works then great. If not, or even if it does work...
3. use it as a backup, as that is what I bought it for. ;)
At £7.99 who cares?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE