Lidl - Monday 4th September Special Offers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
beachlover said:
Cheers for that, but I suspect that the priming only really helps it warm up. The burner was burning as well as it ever will and I did give it time to warm up before testing. I can't honestly see what the pan on the stove and flame spread might mean. I put the broadest and flattest pan on the stove to ensure the greatest surface area for the heat to hit the pan and to mitigate against heat loss around a smaller pan. I think that there are three options.
1. try a real Trangia burner in it and see if there is a difference. If there is then buy a proper burner. If not go to 2.
2. try it outdoors in a breeze. If it works then great. If not, or even if it does work...
3. use it as a backup, as that is what I bought it for. ;)
At £7.99 who cares?

My trangia, is a lidl clone, and works perfectly; it will boil the smaller of the two pans full of water with two eggs, to a rolling boil in 9 minutes. And cook the eggs to perfection in 13 minutes. To get mine to “go like a gas burner” I pour a small amount over the edge (best not done on a counter top I use the “frying pan/lid”) and light the top using a gas lighter. The primer fuel burns out within a half a minute. And the main burner is “cooking on gas”
Note: I’ve only used it in “the outdoors” I have used it to cook my breakfast on it at -2 oC

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Tadpole said:
My trangia, is a lidl clone, and works perfectly; it will boil the smaller of the two pans full of water with two eggs, to a rolling boil in 9 minutes. And cook the eggs to perfection in 13 minutes. To get mine to “go like a gas burner” I pour a small amount over the edge (best not done on a counter top I use the “frying pan/lid”) and light the top using a gas lighter. The primer fuel burns out within a half a minute. And the main burner is “cooking on gas”
Note: I’ve only used it in “the outdoors” I have used it to cook my breakfast on it at -2 oC
Reassuring then. I think outdoors is the answer.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Singeblister said:
I got a stove and a shovel , and i very happy with both of them :) , I saw the fleece sleeping bag things but didnt fancy one
The stove is well worth the money as is the shovel

Is the shovel nice and light?

Didnt notice it said Shovel :rolleyes: ,,, try agian , the shovel isn't that heavy really I haven't weighed it but its made of of steel and seems quite robust so taking it would depend on how much you feel you might need it.

back to the stove , small pan about quarter full boiled in about 8 mins , then I tried a small camping kettle with a whistle which had a bit more water in it this came to the boil in about 6 mins , the burner had blue jets coming from the holes.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Singeblister said:
Didnt notice it said Shovel :rolleyes: ,,, try agian , the shovel isn't that heavy really I haven't weighed it but its made of of steel and seems quite robust so taking it would depend on how much you feel you might need it.

back to the stove , small pan about quarter full boiled in about 8 mins , then I tried a small camping kettle with a whistle which had a bit more water in it this came to the boil in about 6 mins , the burner had blue jets coming from the holes.

Can you dig a nice latrine with that stove?

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
rik_uk3 said:
There is an indent around the top of the Lidl burner, after filling the burner (2 thirds full) pour a little meths in the indent and light. You should see a big improvement in performance, ...
Thanks for that advice. Tried again this evening.

Weather conditions are dry and calm with a temp of 16°C.

The Rik_UK3 trick of lighting some meths in the indent around the top of the burner did result in it going into “gas burner” mode but in still air this wasn’t maintained when the extra meths was exhausted. I provided a stiff breeze with an electric fan and that did maintain the “gas burner” mode. Having got the burner working I again tested the time to boil 500ml of cold water in a small stainless billy with lid. It took 20 minutes. I suspect the airflow from the fan was removing a significant amount of heat and the set up was struggling. It used more meths, but still only half the amount the instructions suggest it should.

My grandfather was a joiner in a Clydeside shipyard. One piece of advice he gave me was always buy the best tools you can afford, (that’s sometimes difficult but I’ve never regretted following it) he’s dead now but I can hear him saying “What did you expect?” :eek:

I was thinking of buying one of the surplus Swedish Army Trangias and that is what I will now do. The Trangia web site does warn about imitations. You live and learn. :)

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Bought the red pack (they have 3 different types), the fleece bag and the walking poles - all perfectly good kit.

I also bought a bottle of vodka but that's not really an essential.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
20 minutes to boil half a litre is well off target, should be half that; are you using meths or some other alcohol? The Svea burner from the army Trangia will fit the Lidl stove.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Don't bother with the rucksack. Really badly made.

I bought one about 6 months ago thinking they looked great, which they do, admittedly, but whilst packing it the first time the waterproof enclosure at the top ripped, badly along a third of the seam.

I took it back, got another, and three of the straps pulled out whilst tightening them.

I got my money back and put it to a decent PLCE bergan.

Just a heads up - we get what we pay for.

PJ

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I bought a Lidl's Trangia style Stove the last time they had them, it is slow to come to the boil but putting the lid on it helped.
I have noticed the the holes in the Lidl's burner are larger than the ones in my Swedish Army Mess Kit, which I suspect is the reason why the Lidl's one takes longer to burn properly due to it taking longer to build up pressure. :rolleyes:

MickT

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
PJMCBear said:
Don't bother with the rucksack. Really badly made.

I bought one about 6 months ago thinking they looked great, which they do, admittedly, but whilst packing it the first time the waterproof enclosure at the top ripped, badly along a third of the seam.

I took it back, got another, and three of the straps pulled out whilst tightening them.

I got my money back and put it to a decent PLCE bergan.

Just a heads up - we get what we pay for.

PJ

Well I must have a good 'un then. I've used it twice already and both times it was full to bursting. You're not wrong though - you do get what you pay for (most of the time). I've got a couple of bergens as well - this is just for my lightweight kit. You pays your money and takes your choice : )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE