Lid for Volcano Stove Cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
wood fule and coke can meths burner in mine you can also sling the bottle on a fire if you add a little bail to it.
(IDIOT WARNING: cork should be removed when heat is applied to bottle)
J*

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Someone replied to my thread about the Swiss Volcano Cooker showing that they had used a large lid off some tinned food with a round cupboard handle screwed in. It looked a lot more elegant than it sounds and I keep meaning to try it myself.

I was wondering what the little rack is used for that doubles as a closure device (or vice versa). Can anyone explain? I presume to heat/cook something - but was interested to try to find out what the specific purpose was (as intended by the designers).

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi

The closing device can be clipped into a little cut out half way down the cooker unit. You can then put the 1L waterbottle in, but it will only come half way down and you can light a fire underneath the bottle to boil water.

Hope that makes sense, but if not have a look here http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1817 for an explaination with pictures of how to use the volcano cooker curtosy of Endicotts.

regards

Phill

Last edited:
Hey guys just how secure is the cork?

The idea of having a bottle of water jiggling around my pack with nothing more than a simple little cork stopping my sleeping bak from becoming a swimming pool........urgh...

But that aside it does seem a good value set up, I was wnting one for my 9yr old daughter, but the cork.........

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
finally got chance to try out my volcano and new cup lid yesterday. Worked a treat.
Does anyone know if a nalgene bottle will fit into the volcano? i dont trust the cork but still want to carry water with it.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Re the cork - I bought a volcano set for my daughter and the cork has stayed in place everytime we've taken it out - but to be safe as mentioned by jdlenton it's always packed on the outside of the rucksack! also I made a lid from a fruit can lid and a small wooden door knob - see the aforementioned link to my Flickr pics;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11980281@N03/3449318425/

I think it's excellent for the price and versatility

Have fun with yours,

Magentus

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hi

The closing device can be clipped into a little cut out half way down the cooker unit. You can then put the 1L waterbottle in, but it will only come half way down and you can light a fire underneath the bottle to boil water.

Hope that makes sense, but if not have a look here http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1817 for an explaination with pictures of how to use the volcano cooker curtosy of Endicotts.

regards

Phill

you can also put the cup in the side bit to warm things but i use it as a handle to pour the bottle rather than lifting it out, having said that i dont use this stove to much anymore lol

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hey guys just how secure is the cork?

The idea of having a bottle of water jiggling around my pack with nothing more than a simple little cork stopping my sleeping bak from becoming a swimming pool........urgh...

But that aside it does seem a good value set up, I was wnting one for my 9yr old daughter, but the cork.........

everyone worries about it unnecessarily,

the design of the bottle and burner and cup together works.

a) put bottle in burner full of water with cork in
b) invert cup and put over top of the bottle
c) put the metal handle bit over the top of the cup to secure it on

this was the cork cannot come out as the cup physically holds it in place, and the metal wire bits hold the cup in place in turn.

this way i have never had leaks. however the bottle on its own prob isnt that great, but again i have not noticed probs with it

D

dboles

This is an old trick from when vaccum bottles had only corks as a stopper
Used when cork starts getting loose after prolonged use
Dampen cork and give it a quick dusting with sugar or salt.The stuck on salt or sugarl gives enough of a rough surface to the cork and causes a good adhesion.Doesnt impart any flavour to the water or whatever is in the bottle well nothing discernable anyway
Works
Dan'l

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE