Liard Firebox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Hi folks

Does anyone have the large Liard firebox? I have a notion to buy one but they are expensive and would like to hear your views on them before I take the plunge!

Regards

Jim

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Thanks Michael, I did come across the Yukon, it certainly looks like it does a similar job. I did notice however that it doesn't have a grill top as such. I like my bacon and lorne sausage up at the 'coe after a night at the Clachaig!
I usually have an open fire with a mesh steel plate with folding legs all under my tarp which is fine but I have just bought a campfire tent from Greenoutdoor and was looking to "control" my fire under the canopy (expensive bit of kit to go up in a puff of smoke!)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I bought a piece of 1" stainless steel mesh from a local metal supplier for a couple of quid for mine.

Cheers, Michael.

Do they still have Fraoch on draught in the Clachaig? It's been a couple of years since I've been there.

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
I will find out at the weekend, going up to try out this new tent, last time I was there they had a power cut and I tried a sister ale to Fraoch called Alba. It was bottled beer but packed a mighty punch!
I didn't think about making a mesh - good idea, i have some in the garage. Need to give this some more thought.
I would like to know if the reports of increased efficiency and using less wood for cooking compared to an open fire are true.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Hi folks

Does anyone have the large Liard firebox? I have a notion to buy one but they are expensive and would like to hear your views on them before I take the plunge!

Regards

Jim

Jimcall
I have a liard firebox (smaller one I think), a great bit of kit if a little on the expensive side. I have used it a lot and it stays pretty much warp free (some cunning cuts in the metal allow it to expand without over warping). Very economical on fuel and I made an oven adaption by raising the inner firebox (four metal legs) and cooking in the gap underneath with a covering over the front, also cut one of those pizza plates to fit which makes good pizza etc and you can still cook on top at the same time.

ATB

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Thanks for the information folks, due to other money commitments (MOT & service for bike!) I have ordered the slightly cheaper option - Yukon from the link Cumbrian gave me so many thanks for that Michael.

ps the Clachaig still sells Fraoch!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE