Leuku Rebuild

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Back in 2011 i made a series of posts on my blog that i called 'Project Leuku' , the six posts followed the build of a Leuku that was sent to me by my good mate Jon out in Norway, well, as sods law dictates the Elm handle i put on the Leuku didn't really work that well, so a little time ago i removed it with a view to re handling the Leuku - again.

This is the Leuku as i first received it from Norway

DSCF0201.jpg

and how it looked after it's first rebuild with an Elm handle

DSCF0727sep.jpg

On Monday this week, i eventually got around to making a fresh start on it, the new handle is made from two pieces of Walnut, supplied by Hugo of this parish, with red felt seperators/liners in between the handle sections, the handle also has a brass bolster, which i had to make from scratch first from a piece of brass sheet that was also kindly supplied by Hugo, so with every thing cut out and clamped up, it was time to leave it be for a couple of days whilst the epoxy cured.

DSCN9533.jpg

I was hoping to be going on a bimble today with Hugo & Rockmonkey, but an ongoing and painful injury to my right knee kind of put paid to that, so instead, i finished off the re handle job on the Leuku, having left the epoxy a couple of days to cure properly, it was time to get down and dirty with the sand paper to get the final shaping done, the result of which can be seen in the below photo's.

DSCN9611.jpg

I was going to put a brass pommel on the Leuku, but in the end, i decided against it and instead used a piece of well seasoned Ash that i collected from the woods a year or so a go.

DSCN9587.jpg

DSCN9598.jpg

Considering, it's only the fourth or is it fifth time I've ever made a knife in my life, and that includes re handling this one twice now, I'm more than happy with the way it has turned out, now to make a sheath for it.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, will bring it along to one of the Sussex meets and you can critique it for me

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one Mark. It looks really nice. :)

Not too keen on the red bit half way down the handle though. ( just my tastes and not in anyway a criticism :))

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys.

@Hillbill - know what you mean,, i mainly cut the handle in half as i dont own a drill bit long enough to go all the way though to take the stick tang, even going in from both ends would have left a bit of solid walnut in the middle:(, seemed like a good idea at the time though:), but please critique away Mark, it's the only way im going to get better at doing these things.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Just unbelieveable, there is no comparison, you must have a great imagination plus a lot of skill to make such a difference the whole knife is improved by the work you have done on it and the materials used. Good on you. Cheers Stuart.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Like the look of that Kepis mate, it's all in the wood and brass mate, ha ha.
As was said about the middle space I agree but a long drill bit is hard to find, like the ash pommel, might keep that in mind for the future.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps.

Couldn't have done it without you Hugo, Brass, Wood, and the inspiration of course as it matches my Hugo Little Whittler

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ah, didn't think of the drill bit. Fair point :)

Cheers guys.

@Hillbill - know what you mean,, i mainly cut the handle in half as i dont own a drill bit long enough to go all the way though to take the stick tang, even going in from both ends would have left a bit of solid walnut in the middle:(, seemed like a good idea at the time though:), but please critique away Mark, it's the only way im going to get better at doing these things.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Nice work there mate!
You were missed today, but on the other hand, there was more tea and coffee to go round!:p
Beautiful finish though, great choice with the ash pummel instead of brass!
Walnut and ash sure do work good together!!!:eek:

RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE