Leuku - can someone measure around the handle please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi all,

I have had a 9 inch Leuku blade hanging around in my knife bits for a little over a year. As I am off to Sweden in the new year, I thought it would be a great tool to take up there.

However, I am not sure what sort of circumferance the handle shoudl be, I know I could just whack a dirty great lump of wood on it, and fiddle it down until it is about right, but I have a really nice piece of Birch that I would like to use as a handle, I am not sure if it is big enough. So before I go ruining a niece bit of wood, can some kind soul measure the circumference of their leuku handle for me?

Many thanks.

Chris

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Surely you have a chance here to design a handle that fits YOUR hand. The handle on somebody elses may not be the right size for you??

Stu

That would be my thought. You might start with a piece of clay, mold it to a shape that feels good, take your measurements and go from there.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi guys,

Fair comment on the clay, and now i come to think of it, I have done this for some of the homemade blades I have created.

I would still like to get a measurement from a commercialy made leuku if at all possible..

Come on guys, I am sure someone has one.

Chris

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
104mm narrowest pint (where the index finger goes)

122mm round the palm swell

140mm at the flared point where the tang is rivetted (butt)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE