Lets see your Spork/Eating Iron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I have been lucky enough to come across this:
Lepel.jpg

Called the "sapphire star", it has taken bushcraft experts months to develop, in cooperation with ergonomists and the Materials Technology department of the University of Delft. This team would not stop until they had created the perfect spoon for the demanding field of bushcraft. Its material has been synthesized by CERN, by smashing hyper-accelerated protons into enriched polymilixite thus creating heat resistance, flexibility and rigidity far beyond the still popular but now outdated regular titanium spork. Its shape is a delicately balanced symphony of intuitive beauty and no-nonsense functionality, taking into account the experience and wishes of numerous bushcrafters. Light and ridiculously durable, this is the spoon for gear freaks!

... or is it a plastic spoon that comes at 50 cents for a whole bag full?

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
^^^ LMAO!:lmao:

I myself use a titanium spork- not because its super light, but just because it is metal (therefore unlikely to melt), and practical and suits my style of eating.

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
I have the folding titanium spoon, fork and knife bought from Blacks. They are great and crazy light and useful in many places. I don't see the point in sporks as a little knife is always around doubling up as a fork even if one only has the spoon on hand, which does not drip half it's loose contents like a spork. They sell them for about £6.99 each but in some stores a few are marked at £4.99. The link below shows a picture of a spoon, the item title in orange says fork and the item description says it's a knife!!! Confused? You will be, what you will get only freak knows. :D
http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/095685.html

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi Prawnster,

Thanks for posting your pic, I have been looking for something like that for ages. In fact I ordered a similar device from a re-enactment sutlers recently but sold it on as the quality was typical of a lot of the re-enactment stuff coming in from India at the moment (for that read ..... well lets say not good!)

The Case looks pretty well made, whats your "review" of it? I have just found it on their web site and requested postage costs but thought I'd see what you thought of its quality.

All the best
Dave

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I have the folding titanium spoon, fork and knife bought from Blacks. They are great and crazy light and useful in many places. I don't see the point in sporks as a little knife is always around doubling up as a fork even if one only has the spoon on hand, which does not drip half it's loose contents like a spork. They sell them for about £6.99 each but in some stores a few are marked at £4.99. The link below shows a picture of a spoon, the item title in orange says fork and the item description says it's a knife!!! Confused? You will be, what you will get only freak knows. :D
http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/095685.html

:eek: yet the picture shows a spoon. :)
=========================================================
Blacks Folding Titanium Fork

Product code 095685
Titanium folding knife that is both extremely strong and extremely light and will have a million and one uses around the campsite kitchen.
=========================================================

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I normally have a spoon made from hawthorn when I'm out and about (assuming I have food and a bowl, then I will also have my spoon. I don't just carry a spoon on the off-chance of a meal :D ). It is hard enough that i can cut a nice steak with it, but I normally have a knife for that. I like that particular spoon because it is tough, light and carved from the woods I spend most of my time in :) oh and it marks the start of me giving up on the use of sandpaper for spoons completely!

it's the one at about 8 O'clock in the picture, but after two years of thoruugh use and abuse (has been trodden on, left in the mud for weeks between outings, opened bottles of beer, etc) it isn't quite the same nice red colour :eek:

spoons.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Hi Prawnster,

Thanks for posting your pic, I have been looking for something like that for ages. In fact I ordered a similar device from a re-enactment sutlers recently but sold it on as the quality was typical of a lot of the re-enactment stuff coming in from India at the moment (for that read ..... well lets say not good!)

The Case looks pretty well made, whats your "review" of it? I have just found it on their web site and requested postage costs but thought I'd see what you thought of its quality.

All the best
Dave

Dave the quality is superb, the finish of the scales and bolsters is fabulous. The knife is sharp out of the box and the sheath for it that you can order as an extra is very nice.
This isn't the lightest option for outdoor dining by any means. If I was doing a trip that required me to measure every gram in my pack then this knife would probably be left at home. As the likelihood of me doing an expedition of that kind is effectively zero, the Hobo knife lives in my pack permanently. It is a joy to use.
Hope I've helped you make your decision, you won't be disappointed.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I am really glad that you think its so good! As soon as they reply to the mail for postage, my order will be with them.
I know what you mean about the whole expedition thing, I am unlikely to be counting grammes for a trek up Everest and using something like this on a weekend out is a pleasure. There is always something good about using a piece of kit that is a pleasure rather than a compromise :)
All the best
Dave

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There is always something good about using a piece of kit that is a pleasure rather than a compromise :)
All the best
Dave

That sums up my philosophy on a lot of my kit.

Regarding XX cutlery I seem to remember having to wait a while for a reply when I enquired about shipping costs. For some reason the email slipped through the the net. They apologised for the delay and said that the way they normally do things is get you to place the order, they then inform you of the shipping costs and if you agree you make the payment. Not sure why it's set up that way but they seemed to move quickly once the order was placed. I'm sorry I can't remember how much shipping was exactly but I do remember being pleasantly surprised.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
mre-spoons.jpg

Spoon on the left is your standard US MRE spoon. i find myself using these an aweful lot dispite owning a LMF spork.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Were from?

You really want to know?
Well okay...
It's called "Great Oak Lifestyle" - 24 piece cutlery set.
Did cost 2.99 Dutch guilders, so it's from before 2002.

Additional data on labels on the bag...
Item no. 083/332

Dutch distributor:
Benson
P.O.box 213
1860 AE Bergen

I don't know if any of this still exists.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE