Lesser Celandine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have found a bank of this growing in a hedgerow - literally 50 metres from my back door! Its probably been sprouting up for years but have never noticed it before.

I know its the roots bulbs that can be eaten, but do they need to be cooked? Does anyone know if the leaves can be eaten?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have found a bank of this growing in a hedgerow - literally 50 metres from my back door! Its probably been sprouting up for years but have never noticed it before.

I know its the roots bulbs that can be eaten, but do they need to be cooked? Does anyone know if the leaves can be eaten?

Have never eaten it, the whole plant is poisonous, but if you cook the tubers, they can be eaten, but proberbly best in small quantities...Also, make sure you don't have bluebells growing amongst them as their tubers are poisonous...
Hopefully someone else will tell about cooking...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have never eaten it, the whole plant is poisonous, but if you cook the tubers, they can be eaten, but proberbly best in small quantities...Also, make sure you don't have bluebells growing amongst them as their tubers are poisonous...
Hopefully someone else will tell about cooking...

Have just double checked on this by cross referencing...There seems to be mixed reports about how poisonous the plant is...
PFAF say its all poisonous, but is ok after cooking.. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Ranunculus+ficaria
One of my herb books says you can eat the young plants in salads and it is said to purify the blood..
Seems its ok to cook though...Must try some for myself, will report back when I have...

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
Yeah the roots can be eaten if u cook them first, i have been eating the leaves giving them a quick fry with other greens before they go onto sandwhichs, and im feeling fine so i guess theyre not too poisenous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE