Less conventional Fruit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Quinces , Medlars , Bullaces, Damsons - all known fruits but somewhat ( now ) unconventional and less ubiquitous than others.

What else exists that can be grown in our climate but is a bit off the beaten track?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm not sure what is uncommon but along with apples, quinces, plums and raspberries I'm growing tayberries & loganberries, cultivated blackberry which is far superiour to wild brambles and blueberries which have done very well this year.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure what is uncommon but along with apples, quinces, plums and raspberries I'm growing tayberries & loganberries, cultivated blackberry which is far superiour to wild brambles and blueberries which have done very well this year.

I have tried Blueberries before but I suspect I didn't feed them correct as they didn't fruit. Am I right in thinking they like acidic soil? did you feed them anything special.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've got Pomegranate, Figs, Cherry Plum, Apricot and Oregon Grape in the garden, the Fig fruits well as does the Oregon Grape which is a bit insipid tbh, the Pomegranate fruits, but they are so small as to not be worth bothering with, the Cherry Plum does fruit, but not this year as it got a right good cutting back as it was becoming unwieldy, the Apricot does fruit and they are delicious straight from the tree.

I also have Quince, Greengage, Bullace & Damson amongst the more usual Apples, Pears, Black Grape, Cherry, Loganberry, Hazelnuts & Blackcurrants.

Reactions: TeeDee and slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have tried Blueberries before but I suspect I didn't feed them correct as they didn't fruit. Am I right in thinking they like acidic soil? did you feed them anything special.
Yes, they like acidic soil. We grow some in pots of ericaceous compost and they've done ok so long as they are watered from time to time with rain water or acidic water.

This year I've fed them well and had about 10 pints of blueberries from 4 plants which are different cultivars so fruit over a few months.

More are grown in our woodland that has acidic soil and they do very well. However all fruit is eaten by the wildlife as they need netting.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
We’ve got two gooseberry bushes, one established and one a baby. The established bush gave us 2KG of fruit this year, and we’re hoping that the smaller one will start fruiting next year. The fruit is all going into gooseberry and ginger jam - one of my favourites.

We tried cucamelons last year, and although the vines went mad throughout the green house and fruited all over, I wasn’t that keen on them.

This year we’ve had some success with aubergines in the greenhouse - good eating.

Reactions: Kirsty and TeeDee

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quinces , Medlars , Bullaces, Damsons - all known fruits but somewhat ( now ) unconventional and less ubiquitous than others.

What else exists that can be grown in our climate but is a bit off the beaten track?
Gages (green & golden)
Black, white & red currants
White & Black Mulberry
Medlar
Gooseberry
Bilberry
Blueberry
Cranberry
Tayberry / Loganberry
Pineapple strawberry
Red, yellow & black raspberry
Chequers
True Service Fruit

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Gages (green & golden)
White & Black Mulberry
Medlar
Gooseberry
Bilberry
Blueberry
Cranberry
Tayberry / Loganberry
Pineapple strawberry
Chequers
True Service Fruit

Are your Mulberry trees laying down? I was told by an old gardener many years ago (he's long gone sadly) that mulberry trees were purposefully planted at an acute angle to the ground so they grew almost laying down; that way you can pick the fruit. I wasn't sure I believed him until I saw the very old Mulberry trees in St Fagans - all laying down as though the wind had blown them over when young.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Are your Mulberry trees laying down? I was told by an old gardener many years ago (he's long gone sadly) that mulberry trees were purposefully planted at an acute angle to the ground so they grew almost laying down; that way you can pick the fruit. I wasn't sure I believed him until I saw the very old Mulberry trees in St Fagans - all laying down as though the wind had blown them over when young.
Nope all upright, easy enough to pick the fruit though, they are only young.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The first mulberry I saw was at an old work - it was laying down. I saw one recently too when on holiday (but can’t remember where ) and that was laying too.

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Gages (green & golden)
White & Black Mulberry
Medlar
Gooseberry
Bilberry
Blueberry
Cranberry
Tayberry / Loganberry
Pineapple strawberry
Chequers
True Service Fruit

I've sampled all of those in the past albeit the last Two.

Are they worth the bother? ( Subjective question i appreciate )

Reactions: British Red

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We have Boysenberries; like a very large, long. blackberry (slightly more red). I believe they are a hybrid of four different berries developed in the early 20th century. They taste nice but, if I'm honest, there's too high a seed to fruit ratio for me. Best made into jelly as opposed to jam.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Haven’t had a medlar in a couple of years, loved picking them and boxing the up to go soft and during the winter months eating them, spooning out the middle and put it on cheddar cheese, lush!

For some reason my local Sainsburys super market when building it some years ago decided to plant a mix of Medlars and Gages around the car park. I dont think many know what they are so I'm happy to avail myself of them.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Greengages can't be that hard to grow as theres a few growing on a bit of waste vround in Carlisle where I walk the dog. Taste nice enough to me anyway.
Big fan of gooseberries and although I wouldn't call it a fruit, Rhubarb.

As for other Strange Fruit? Theres a very dark song about that with an interesting (but not at all nice) backstory. Worth looking it up.

Reactions: Macaroon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Greengages can't be that hard to grow as theres a few growing on a bit of waste vround in Carlisle where I walk the dog. Taste nice enough to me anyway.
Big fan of gooseberries and although I wouldn't call it a fruit, Rhubarb.

As for other Strange Fruit? Theres a very dark song about that with an interesting (but not at all nice) backstory. Worth looking it up.
I'm familiar with the song.

Obscure fruit maybe a better term.

Its strange how our fruits and veg are limited to a certain range offered by supermarkets lead by I guess our farming and consumer led purchasing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE