Less conventional Fruit.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Obviously the cost of cultures and harvesting will count for a lot. There used to be a pick your own gooseberry crop just up the road when we first moved here forty odd years ago. I think they were having a laugh as well as extending their PYO strawberry season. The problem with commercial gooseberries the weeding as much as the harvesting.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm familiar with the song.

Obscure fruit maybe a better term.

Its strange how our fruits and veg are limited to a certain range offered by supermarkets lead by I guess our farming and consumer led purchasing.
There's a bloke on Youtube who goes round the world (or getting it sent to his home) tasting weird fruit. Fairly interesting chanel.
Its called Weird Explorer.
Clicky here.

Reactions: Kirsty

Kirsty

Oct 2, 2017
Hebrides
I have a goldengage and for the first time since planting it fruited, producing a grand total of three gages, so delicious, I hope for many more in the future! All my trees are young and this year the apples had no fruit, mostly due to gales and salt spray when they were pollinating, and then a marauding hind took advantage of a couple of lax nights with the electric fence and knocked off all the baby apples while stripping leaves from the only two that were productive. I'm very sad about that, I was particularly looking forward to the beautifully coloured and flavoured Devonshire Quarrenden, fingers crossed for a favourable weather window next spring. The raspberries and gooseberries on the other hand produced a heavy crop, maybe having had a seaweed mulch pleased them.
I will be following this thread with interest because I plan to make a new fruit bed on the area where I tried cut flowers this summer. I fancy some of those cultivated blackberries - the wild harvest is hit and miss this season, a lot of very small fruit which the dog nonetheless insists I pick for her. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried Silverberry, or Juneberry.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE