Les Stroud

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Abbe I think you nailed it. I know when a person is cold sometimes safety takes a backseat (it should'nt) and does. Just like hunger the brain is telling the body "hey just feed me something" but we have to make a conscious effort to do it safely. I watched a trailer where it tool him 11 hours to start a fire in somewhat good conditions. Thats not instructor level , but I do have to take into consideration that the environment could have played a role, maybe im seeing it wrong but the guy knows the skills, but seems like it's a combination of factors that they don't come off as "pretty" as Rays.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Brian Curnel said:
Abbe I think you nailed it. I know when a person is cold sometimes safety takes a backseat (it should'nt) and does. Just like hunger the brain is telling the body "hey just feed me something" but we have to make a conscious effort to do it safely. I watched a trailer where it tool him 11 hours to start a fire in somewhat good conditions. Thats not instructor level , but I do have to take into consideration that the environment could have played a role, maybe im seeing it wrong but the guy knows the skills, but seems like it's a combination of factors that they don't come off as "pretty" as Rays.

yes, and there you nailed it too. I know for a fact that Ray has a contract with the Producers which allows him to cut out his failures from the movie. So if you see that Ray is missing a mark it is only in because he allows it there. We will never see if Ray is needing several hours to start a fire.

That the thing why I respect Les so much he doesnt struggle to hold up an perfect image. There is a lot of pressure if you run a company and I have to give him a big thumps up to be brave enough to leave the stuff in the movie. Les is editing his own movies. He could have build the movie in a way that he comes out as the big time hero but he doesnt. In that way he is much more on the real side of Bushcraft for me.

Nevertheless I love Rays stuff but I know for what I take it. He is surrounded by a big team and everything looks so clean.

LOL Before I got my first child I saw my wife reading these woman papers full of babies and ideas how to give birth. We even went together into a how to breath your pain away groups. Well, when it was time and the baby came out none told us what a bloody mess the whole thing is, no pain by breathing.....LOL I dont know how we got through it but it was not like in the fancy coffe table books.

I love Rays teaching, I hell learn a lot from him but I know that it is coffee table bushcraft. As I said before: Only come up to me and try out to make some emergency snowshoes like he did on his show in the bush for real. It will suck the live out of you and doesnt look so clean like in his show.

LOL But then you will know what giving birth to a snowshoes will be like! LOL

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Brian Curnel said:
I had thought about doing a survival DVd using only primitive tools and weapons. Would be tough though with all the laws in tact regulating what can be done when and where.

I had the same thought but got a bit chilled when I saw how much technical stuff there is to do and to learn, after a while you are all into the production stress, legal stress with copyrighted music, protection of you own work, buying and learning editing tools, compression of movies, powerfull computers to render the movies, printing houses etc etc. I dont want to discurage you but I was afraid that bushcraft will fall away when getting into the production of DVDs.

I have not given up totally on it but have put it on hold for a while.

cheers
Abbe

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Well guys, best tip if you want to do a production is to involve someone who does it for a living. Because there ARE a lot of things to deal with but having said that, it IS possible to do it by yourself. Look at Michael (bushcraft.se)'s productions. One man and one camera (Les has plenty ;).

There are people on here who has worked with video & TV production im sure of it, im one of them. So if you want to have a chat or ask questions, just fire along =)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE