leprevo

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've just been looking on leprevo for some leather and a buckle to make new collar for the dog, i was just wondering if anyone on here could clarify something for me.
i want to make the collar 1 1/2" wide with a rectangular brass buckle, now, this may sound like a silly question, but what size buckle do i need to order? will a 1 1/2" buckle fit a strap of 1 1/2" leather or is the size of the buckle quoted on the site the outside measurement? i.e. would i need a 1 3/4" buckle to fit a 1 1/2" strap?

it probably tells me somewhere on the leprevo site but i can't see it.

cheers

stuart

leon-1

i've just been looking on leprevo for some leather and a buckle to make new collar for the dog, i was just wondering if anyone on here could clarify something for me.
i want to make the collar 1 1/2" wide with a rectangular brass buckle, now, this may sound like a silly question, but what size buckle do i need to order? will a 1 1/2" buckle fit a strap of 1 1/2" leather or is the size of the buckle quoted on the site the outside measurement? i.e. would i need a 1 3/4" buckle to fit a 1 1/2" strap?

it probably tells me somewhere on the leprevo site but i can't see it.

cheers

stuart

Most 1.5 inch buckles are infact 40mm. The ones that I have bought that are 1.5 inch buckles will fit a 1.5 inch strap. So your answer is get a 1.5 inch buckle to go with the 1.5 inch strap.

What type of dog is it (Rottwieler or Great Dane) as that is a sizeable strap for a dog collar?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for that leon.
he's a bit of a heinz to be honest. sire was a greyhound x english bull, dam was a working collie. he's about labrador tall and rotty wide. i wanted a slightly thicker collar because he occasionally decides to have a really good pull on the lead and the collar we've got at the moment seems to cut into him a little bit. he's very strong, not quite three years old so still quite a lot of testosterone buzzing round inside him. he managed to snap a 1" leather lead clean in two when he was about 18 months. i use climbing rope as a lead now!

i shall endevour to post some pictures of him

cheers

stuart

leon-1

thanks for that leon.
he's a bit of a heinz to be honest. sire was a greyhound x english bull, dam was a working collie. he's about labrador tall and rotty wide. i wanted a slightly thicker collar because he occasionally decides to have a really good pull on the lead and the collar we've got at the moment seems to cut into him a little bit. he's very strong, not quite three years old so still quite a lot of testosterone buzzing round inside him. he managed to snap a 1" leather lead clean in two when he was about 18 months. i use climbing rope as a lead now!

i shall endevour to post some pictures of him

cheers

stuart

Cool, greyhound and english bull have a lovely temprament, collies are very intelligent and active. I would imagine you have your hands full.

You may want to double thickness of that belt strap so that it's greater than 6mm thick, have it stitched down each side with synthetic thread. The collar would be heavy, but he would never break it and as long as the edges were bevelled properly it wouldn't cut into him.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the plan was to double the leather up and form it round something of roughly the same size as the dogs neck and then stitch it (down both edges as you suggest) so that hopefully it'll keep the round shape when it's finished. does that make sense?

the intention was to use 4mm leather so it would have a finished thickness of 8mm, i want it to last.

any particular reason why you suggest synthetic thread leon? i was going to use waxed linen, mainly because that's what i've got to be honest. obviously synthetic won't rot but was there any other reason?

english bull - ignorant but very loving
greyhound - lazy but easily pleased
collie - too damn clever
yeah, i've got my hands full!

stuart

leon-1

any particular reason why you suggest synthetic thread leon? i was going to use waxed linen, mainly because that's what i've got to be honest. obviously synthetic won't rot but was there any other reason?

You tend to find that there is very little elasticity with linen thread (it doesn't stretch very well), the collar itself will need to flex / stretch and there is a chance that the linen would snap. You know those situations where the dog gathers itself and just explodes out of the starting blocks, happily dislocating limbs and then towing you out for draggies. I was talking to a local saddlers the other day and they literally said "we don't use line at all nowadays" I asked why and they said "synthetics are better".

Synthetic braids are thicker stronger and have a certain amount of elasticity that allows it to stretch enough that when flexed it won't snap and if you can't get any drop me a line and I'll see about sending you some.

shaggystu said:
english bull - ignorant but very loving
greyhound - lazy but easily pleased
collie - too damn clever
yeah, i've got my hands full!

stuart

I have had collies (mother and daughter) and when working together they are the biggest wonder to watch, they are also sneaky and devious with a highly lovable quality.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that makes perfect sense leon, cheers. it wouldn't have occured to me that the thread needs to be elastic. one of those kick yourself moments, as soon as it's pointed out it's obvious that sewing stretchy leather calls for stretchy thread. i'll have a look see if i can get some, if not i may take you up on that offer.

i've never worked with collies myself but i remember watching my uncle working his (he's a derbyshire sheep farmer) when i was a kid, and it was a wonder to behold. the collie shines through in my dog occasionally, we're quite often not allowed to sit in different rooms, he herds us all together, especially funny when we visit friends with kids. he's plenty big enough to push my mates 4 year old around in a nice gentle way, evertime the poor little bugger tries to go and play up the garden the dog noses him all the way back til he's with us again. it's very sweet

cheers

stuart

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
sounds a nice dog,similar cross,s in nz are used on pigs.i assume its still classed as a lurcher.being grey/bull x collie.theres a guy on the hunting life called strongstuff that makes collars and he uses the same stuff as seatbelts are made out of.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
sorry for taking so long to reply, i was trying to get a photo of the aforementioned hound. if someone could tell me how to get a photo from the gallery to show up in this post 'twould be greatly appreciated.

i guess he would be classed as a lurcher really, we've always just described his breed as "generic dog", it seems to suit him!

cheers

stuart

gemma_011.jpg

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's my puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers mate, swmbo deals with digital photo's, a little beyond me i'm afraid, i still can't work out what was wrong with 35mm.

just to give you some idea of size, the collar he's wearing in that picture is just over an inch wide, i'll only be adding about 3/16's with the new one.

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE