Leg of venison

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A friend gave us a leg of venison and half a dozen big home grown carrots, late yesterday.

HWMBLT would like recipe suggestions for his 2kgs of deer :rolleyes: :cool:

Me ? I'm having honey and ginger glazed carrots :D

Any suggestions ??

cheers,
Toddy

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Put it in a roating pan without a trivit pour a generous amount of sloe gin over it so its sitting in about 10-20mm couple of slice shallots into the mix and a few rashers of streaky bacon over the top. Cover with foil and cook fo about 1hr 10 min at 190c then give it 15 mintes is without the foil on. Some gravey granules or cornflour and a bit of hot water added to the juice after you have removed the meat for a cracking gravey. This works a treat in my oven but your'll have to watch it carefull as there is nothing worse than over cooked deer.

Best of luck

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
Hi Toddy

Below is a splendid recipe for a venison casserole given to me by a lady at Rothiemurchus last year when I went up on my pre-Christmas 'venison run' ;) It is absolutely delicious and my mouth is watering at the mere thought...think I'll visit one of our local estates and get some more lol. Hope your HMWLBT likes it.

Winter Warming Venison Casserole with Juniper and Dark Chocolate
Serves 8 (hopefully...or 6 if all are famished lol)
1.2 kg venison
2 cloves garlic
2 diced onions
2 carrots, 4 celery stalks, 2 parsnips (all diced into small-ish chunks)
1 large glass of red wine
1 large sprig of fresh thyme
15 juniper berries, crushed
30 gms dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) broken into small chunks
Plain flour and olive oil
Put a little flour in a deep tray, roll the venison, pat off excess until meat is dry and coated in flour. Season with salt & pepper (did I list that in the ingredients?)
Heat the olive oil in a pan and, when hot, add venison a little at a time (so the oil stays hot) and fry until all the meat is sealed. Drain and place in a large casserole dish. Put the vegetables & garlic into the hot pan and sweat them off, then add them to the venison along with the red wine and enough water to cover.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, add juniper berries and the thyme, cover and cook in a pre-heated oven for 50-60 mins at 180 degrees Celsius. When meat is tender, add in the dark chocolate before serving to enrich the sauce. Serve with broccoli, chestnuts and roast/mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I tend to bung it in the oven in a casserole pot with the lid on with a good glug of red wine, some rosemary and thyme, black peppercorns (whole) and a few bay leaves and then do it until I think it is done enough then take the lid off for a little while. I use the liquid to make a gravy and serve it up with roast spuds and loads of veg, and red cabbage. It does all right for me!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Oooo - these all look delicious! I cooked a venison stew the other day that turned out quite well:

Brown some onions, brown the venison. Add some flour, carraway seeds, garlic, paprika and oregano and cook for about 1 min to bring out flavours. Add chopped tomatoes, beef stock and salt to taste. Stew for an hour or two until it's all falling apart and loverly. Would be nice with vegetables cooked in the stew and/or a few dumplings floating around.

:p

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

My neighbours are having enough bother coming to terms with the undeniable fact that, Yes, I *can* dry a parachute on my washing lines :eek: :D

In my heavy clay soil I'd probably end up firing a hole if I tried a hangi though :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Clay build oven?

I have diagrams somewhere.

My tip? Find out how long its been hung. Haunch is lovely but (unlike game birds) it NEEDS to be hung to help the muscle break down (same as beef)

Roast slooooooow in a sealed container with a little mead or wine in the bottom. Dry venison is icky (and it does dry out like beef).

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are clay ovens at the Crannog, the trick is keeping them dry :rolleyes: Not happening in soggy Lanarkshire. It's very fertile here but it's really wet.

The friend is a butcher to trade. The venison will have been properly prepped and hung.

Thanks for the recipes folks :You_Rock_
Himself is pondering :)

atb,
Toddy

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Clay build oven?

I have diagrams somewhere.

My tip? Find out how long its been hung. Haunch is lovely but (unlike game birds) it NEEDS to be hung to help the muscle break down (same as beef)

Roast slooooooow in a sealed container with a little mead or wine in the bottom. Dry venison is icky (and it does dry out like beef).

Red

yep mead and crushed juniper!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Folks!!

If I were a mod I would lock this thread immediately!!

Why?

Is it offensive? No.

Is it rude? No.

You're making me feel bloomin' hungry!!

Toddy, I hope you bith enjoy you food!

Dave

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
you could do it in a large dutch oven Mary if you have one . i bought a large lodge one recently from Amazon and have been cooking allsorts out in the garden using Webber coals on top and below.youtube has lots of tutorials on this .the meat is really tender , i,m drooling at the thought.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
A friend gave us a leg of venison and half a dozen big home grown carrots, late yesterday.

HWMBLT would like recipe suggestions for his 2kgs of deer :rolleyes: :cool:

Me ? I'm having honey and ginger glazed carrots :D

Any suggestions ??

cheers,
Toddy

I haven't used this on a whole leg before, but when I am BBQing up some Deer steak this is what I always use. It is great! :D

Ginny's Blend:

1 teaspoon sage

2 teaspoons thyme

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon parsley

3 juniper berries, dried and crushed

1/2 teaspoon marjoram

1 teaspoon rosemary

I usually keep this mix with me when out hunting, it really is great on pan fried tenderloins!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT does not like his meat rare. He likes it 'cooked' :rolleyes: Pink is raw so a no-no.

In the end it was put into a big ashet, liberally doused in red wine, lots of crushed herbs (kind of like Bogman 10's ) and slow roasted with the lid on.

He said it was delicious. He doesn't like gravy or sauce so what juices were left were just used to baste and keep the meat moist.

It seems to be going well, he's been eating it for three days, and he won't let me freeze any of it so he gets a bit of a change :)

Thanks again for the recipes folks :beerchug:

Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He used to drive me nuts, I was taught to cook meat so that it was cooked but the inside was more steamed than roasted. That way it stayed moist and as the roast 'set' it gently softened any drying from the roasting, but the roast flavour permeated the meat. Pinkish inside in other words, with lots of flavour. Not so raw it squeaked though.

Himself likes it brown *all* the way through. One even consistency to the core. I think you'd have liked this joint BR, but BB would have thought it well overdone.

cheers,
M

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
He used to drive me nuts, I was taught to cook meat so that it was cooked but the inside was more steamed than roasted. That way it stayed moist and as the roast 'set' it gently softened any drying from the roasting, but the roast flavour permeated the meat. Pinkish inside in other words, with lots of flavour. Not so raw it squeaked though.

Himself likes it brown *all* the way through. One even consistency to the core. I think you'd have liked this joint BR, but BB would have thought it well overdone.

cheers,
M
Same over here Toddy. I love my roast pink in the middle and juicy, the Wife though likes the shoe leather style. Worked it out by cooking it in oven / BBQ till pinkish for me. SWMBO gets the End pieces and she Nukes them to well done. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE