Chicken of the Woods (Laetiporus sulphureus)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's very late in it's season, but this is new growth, wasn't there a week ago, and has come in bright yellow with orange. Himself picked me 2kgs of it this morning, and I've picked it over, cleaned off anything not quite appealing and have fried up half of it in a little olive oil, with fresh ground black pepper and a little salt.
It's lovely :)
I do think the nicest ones grow on Willow, as this one was.

What to do with the other half of it though ?

Recipe suggestions gratefully received :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Having only had the one sample of it this year, I can only really tell what I did, which was to fry it with bacon and whack it in an omelette.

However, you should definitely experiment. What about trying some fajitas? Maybe with a little jack by the hedge mustard mayo, some late dandelion leaves or bittercress, and what ever other goodies you have growing in the garden.

I'd like to experiment with bread crumbling them, dusting in flour, then shaking in a bag full of beaten eggs then dusted in a chunky and herby crumb and fried.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE