Leeks

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now, I like a bit in stews (I live on stew) but not much.

This time I got mine from the greengrocer...

...and its muddy.

how do I clean it or is the dirt part of the flavouring?

Tengu (Not Welsh...but of Welsh ancestry...)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The mud is usually only in the outer layers /leaves so just peel them back to wash it out. Slice your leek thinly and steam it with half a small cabbage, chopped, for 25mins. When it's done stir in a knob of butter and a liberal dose of black pepper. Have it on the side of your stew. Yummity yum!
t2801.gif

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Top + tail the leek, then take off the first outer layer, possibly the second.
Wash all mud/soil off.
Cut to preferred size. Job done.
Then cook

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you top & tail and remove the outer layer, as said, then keep the bottom white root whole, cut from the middle of the leek towards the top green leaves, once from 12 to 6 and once from 9 to 3 (looking down on said leek) you should have opened out the top to enable you to easily rinse off any mud. It's much easier done than explained!

We often make a simple leek and potato soup, soften a little onion for several long minutes, add chopped leak and cook until soft, add diced potato and cook for a little before adding water/stock, herbs and black pepper to taste. Simmer until the potato is cooked.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I love leeks. First I slice off a mm or two of the root end, then the mangled tops of the green ends. Slice through it lenghtwise, then rince out each half under running water.

Lots of people do not use the green part, but being tought cooking by a WW2 and commie seasoned mother I do not waste it.
In fact it is healthier than the pale bit!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depending on what you're going to do with it …..I like the white bit baked in sauce….you can either split it right down it's length and just wash out the soil that'll only really be down at the bottom of the green on the outer leaves, or start cutting up from the bottom (having cut off the root) until you get to where the leaves just start to open out, that's where any grit will be. Slice the upper rings free and wash.
I hate buying supermarket leeks, they always cut off and throw away the good green bit. The green makes the best soup and is better nutritionally too even if it does need a little longer cooking, just don't waste the cooking water.

M

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I prepare leeks by first cutting off the root section - just a few millimetres. Then I cut off the top section just below where the greener parts fan out. I then slit the leek lengthways and holding the end nearest where the root was, I dip the other end into a bowl of water and swish it about a bit vigorously to clean that end, as that is where the grit will be (if any) then check it is clean by fanning out the 'leaves'. You might need to rub with your fingers to get them proper clean. I then rinse the leek again in fresh water. My favourite recipe are leek & potato soup, and this recipe 'Baked Haddock & Tatties' which is basically smoked haddock with leeks, topped with dauphinoise potatoes. This is a microwave recipe but I cook it in the regular oven (about 30minutes @180deg.C) and I add a lot more leeks.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1644/creamy-baked-haddock-and-tatties

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Sat here thinking I must be a caveman.....used to go and work on a family farm when I was a teenager and spend weeks harvesting leeks. I'd tail them and eat them raw.
Always wondered why I struggled to attract a female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sat here thinking I must be a caveman.....used to go and work on a family farm when I was a teenager and spend weeks harvesting leeks. I'd tail them and eat them raw.
Always wondered why I struggled to attract a female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just failed to attract the wrong female....
The right one is attracted even if you live on raw garlick!

We love potato and leek soup. I kind of boild the green leaves and half of potatoes first for about 10 minutes, then put the rest in and boil until those are tender. The first lot is then very soft, the taters ate mashed up, so it thickebs the soup.

A very under appreciated veggie, the leek is.

I also do a "classic" French Onion Soup, but do it with leeks instead.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Cut them into rings, rinse, blanch, then stew slowly in butter with salt and pepper.
Either use as the filling to a leek pie, delicious,
OR as atoppong for pizza bianchi, pizza with no to ato sauce but leeks and some white cheese, maybe a few potatoes boiled and cut up.
Both excellent uses of the mighty leek.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Never had a problem cleaning them, the challenge is to remember them. Our Christmas dinner we have leeks. Over the years we have forgotten to serve them several times, with all the other veg in mind. Not bad cold, in limited quantities.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, that sounds wonderful.

Mostly when I deign to eat vegitables I go for roots....

(Was brought up in a household where they were boiled to oblivion, hence my distaste...I grew up hating bangers and mash too, as my mother believed sausages should be cheap as possible...and mash came out of a tin marked `instant mash`...)

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I usually just slice thin and sprinkle on my ham, egg, cheese on rye sandwitch or in my salad. Rarely cook it, mainly in an omelet, with some bell peppers and ham or bacon or leeks and chantarelles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE