Leeds to Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jwken100

Aug 19, 2008
Leeds
Hi guys, I haven’t posted on here before but I am a fan of the site. I was wondering if any one could provide me with some advice, I want to go to Scotland for a bushcraft weekend but i'm not sure where abouts to go. Lock Eck has caught my eye but i’m not sure if it’s ideal, what do you think? Any suggestions would be great. I am slightly conscientious of travel time from Leeds so preferably not more than 6 hours. I would also like to be close to a lock so I can wash/ get water/ enjoy a swim etc.

Cheers,

James

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Four and a half hours should get you to near the Trossachs which is a great spot for some bushy fun. Three and a half and you're getting past Glasgow where you can either continue north or go east or west.
Six hours should get you up on to the interesting parts of the west coast which is where I'd be heading if I were you.
Loch Long and the Ardgartan area is a nice place to lose yourself for a few days ;)

jwken100

Aug 19, 2008
Leeds
Thanks for the speedy reply Rich. I realy fancy west coast. if i put a picture of lock long from the sky up on the forum would it be possible for you to suggest some good spots? only if you have time.

Cheers,

James

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
But that takes all the fun out of it ;)

Get a map of an area you fancy and plot something out, it better to find places for yourself and it makes it a bit more adventurous.

I did a report for a trip to Loch Long back in the autumn which you should be able to find in the out and about section. If you fancy the sound of that I can send you some info :)

jwken100

Aug 19, 2008
Leeds
Only if its not too much trouble Rich. Ive had a look at Ardgarten on google maps and I like the look of that area too. Its coming up as about 5 hours on the route finder so its looking promising. I like it to be quite remote when i go camping, if some one walks past pushing a pram then i loose all sense of adventure ha. Would you say Ardgarten is remote?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Just be aware of the dreaded midgie, they're starting to appear now in the good weather so be prepared for them. If youv'e never had to deal with them before, beware. They ain't harmful, but damn they can be annoying, so bring a headnet and some citronella candles, you will be glad of them.

jwken100

Aug 19, 2008
Leeds
cheers guy. With regards to the headnets, im going in the middle of august, is it still bad then? Ive had runnings with the dreaded midgies before........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
cheers guy. With regards to the headnets, im going in the middle of august, is it still bad then? Ive had runnings with the dreaded midgies before........

Yep still about then

I've just bought a Beatons midge jacket although I didn't have to use it last week as there was a contant steady breeze.

Nordic Summer is supposed to do the trick, free delivery on Woodlore's site aswell.

The worst I've ever seen them was up near Ullapool when we had a couple of nights next to the river Runie. Clouds of them getting in your eyes, up your nose and in your mouth.
A can of deoderant and a lighter was a good short term fix but they soon re-grouped and came back for more.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I would suggest Glencoe, Glen Etive and Arisaig/morar. Further but better and less midges at the latter. Loch lomond is good but with a boat. The Green Welly stop in Tyndrum has Midge jackets/bug jackets for £12. Midges were biting 10 days ago on Inchconnachan and were murder today in Rhu, just west of loch lomond.

Nick

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Glad someone mentioned midge's on this thread, im off to the Glen coe area in a couple of weeks for a weekend(been there before when doing the west highland way) but never stopped, can anyone tell me am i going to get plague'd with them there?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only done Glen Coe in autumn/winter so couldn't really say, it's worth sticking a head net in your pack though Andy.

May 13, 2009
West Lothian
Glad someone mentioned midge's on this thread, im off to the Glen coe area in a couple of weeks for a weekend(been there before when doing the west highland way) but never stopped, can anyone tell me am i going to get plague'd with them there?

Midgies will be there and active but it will depend on the weather as to how bad they will be and how much you will see of them.

If it is windy; they can't fly.
If it is raining; they can't fly.
If it is very hot and sunny; they don't/can't fly.
If it is very cold; they don't/can't fly.
If it is warm and still; they'll get you.
If it is damp and still; they will get you
If it is cool and dry and gentle breeze; they might get you.
etc, etc etc.

Their behavior can also vary between different areas, some place they come out after dark, other places they don't etc.

General advice is be prepared for them, and taking certain precautions can lessen the worst affects. e.g if camping try and camp in an exposed spot where any wind will keep them away.

Enjoy ;)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers Eoin, pretty much had a idea they'd be about, guess im gonna have to use deet, the thing being i react to the bites eg,raised lumps that weep days after, and itch like crazy they drive me nuts!!!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Midgies will be there and active but it will depend on the weather as to how bad they will be and how much you will see of them.

If it is windy; they can't fly.
If it is raining; they can't fly.
If it is very hot and sunny; they don't/can't fly.
If it is very cold; they don't/can't fly.
If it is warm and still; they'll get you.
If it is damp and still; they will get you
If it is cool and dry and gentle breeze; they might get you.
etc, etc etc.

Their behavior can also vary between different areas, some place they come out after dark, other places they don't etc.

General advice is be prepared for them, and taking certain precautions can lessen the worst affects. e.g if camping try and camp in an exposed spot where any wind will keep them away.

Enjoy ;)

I have generally found that dawn and dusk are the midging hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE