LED Maglite Solitaire and firesteel !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I made an LED conversion of my Maglite Solitaire inspired/courtesy of this link:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/mods/solitaire2.htm

My torch now has a 3mm LED powered by three button cells. It is brighter than before, but I have yet to establish the burn time.
I have added a cunning adaption to the original conversion by utilising the space left within the old battery chamber to house a small section of firesteel (approx. 30mm long). This acts as a conductor from the tail cap to the battery cells. It is still an unfinished working project; the space could also be utilised for other items such as a water purifying tablet etc wrapped in foil to provide electrial continuity. A simple extended 'U' shaped piece of wire (from a paper clip?) would provide electrical continuity if the firesteel etc was removed.
I think this could be a useful emergency addition to a pocket SAK etc. If someone else has already thought of this, my apologies.

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Totally agree with Topnot!! A great tutorial and my one on the classifieds is now coming off for me to have a play with! :D

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I'm pleased you're pleased....I always thought the Solitaire was a nice little torch apart from the actual performance. The conversion detailed makes it more efficient; the addition of a firesteel etc. in the spare battery space now available makes it a useful back-up item. With this information maybe many more Solitaires will be dragged out of retirement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE