"Leave only footprints" in a broader perspective

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
I loved many of the comments in the 'leave only footprints' thread, and was wondering if and how you all would apply this to every other place you visit (real as well as virtual)...

This came up because to me some of the replies in the "feminine toiletries" thread which I started recently gave me the same feeling that crisp bags and other litter in the woods give me...
One or two is no problem but at some point it gets on your nerves... and from that point on you can hardly seem to go back to that feeling that it is not a problem...

So my question is basically: do you try to live the "leave only footprints" attitude everywhere? If so, how, and if not, why not?

Live and Love,
Anneke

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Try to do it everywhere. :)

I am an ageing hippy, tree hugging liberal but I would be quite happy to see public flogging introduced for littering.It bugs me worst in the countryside but I do get cross on my infrequent visit to cities to see the blatant disregard for tidiness.

The fact that it is caused by laziness and total disregard for other people that makes me so cross. :AR15firin :soapbox: :twak: :banghead:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Too many footprints confuses those of us trying to learn to track.

Please leave only memories ;)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm trying to avoid this post turning into a rant, but littering's up in my top ten things that wind me up. Littering the countryside particularly irritates as the offenders can't see the irony of making an effort to go somewhere pleasant and then leaving their litter behind to degrade it.

In town there's more of it, so I notice less, but I'm always incensed when I see people drop things particularly when a bin is a step or two away. I've picked stuff up in the past and handed it back to them saying, "here you dropped this".

Don't get me started on people who park in disabled spaces and shouldn't. :rolleyes: :eek: Ignorance isn't a disabilty.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
scanker said:
I'm trying to avoid this post turning into a rant, but littering's up in my top ten things that wind me up. Littering the countryside particularly irritates as the offenders can't see the irony of making an effort to go somewhere pleasant and then leaving their litter behind to degrade it.

In town there's more of it, so I notice less, but I'm always incensed when I see people drop things particularly when a bin is a step or two away. I've picked stuff up in the past and handed it back to them saying, "here you dropped this".

Don't get me started on people who park in disabled spaces and shouldn't. :rolleyes: :eek: Ignorance isn't a disabilty.

As someone once said,"it's a pity stupidity isn't painful" :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was watching a programme the other night, and it was great! The subject was a bit horrid, it was about folk getting caught letting their dogs foul in towns and public areas, and the on the spot fines that came as a result. They also do normal littering. The best bit was when they fined a Traffic Warden for dropping his fag but on the street! It's nice to see there's someone out there who can fine the finers!!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have to admit that in the past I've always just chucked my butts away whilst telling myself that they're highly biodegradeable (I smoke rollies with no filter, so it's just rice paper and dried leaves). But now I have resolved to change my ways and acquired a pocket ashtray.

The big problem in my locality is the often the bins don't get emptied until they're overflowing - so even if you do dispose of it properly, your litter still ends up blowing around the street.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I try to follow the leave no trace or only footprint to an extent. All consumable are repackaged to reduce the amount of containers and those containers that can be reused are put in place. Otherwise we try to use flamable containers that we can burn in our fire, others are carried out in our trash. Our campsite is kept as clean as possible but we do not replace the fire ring stones: if we find a fire ring we use it, if none then we establish one in the best place and leave it there for other to use. We have come across several likely camp site that have many burn marks and it makes more of an eye sore than just the one fire ring, we also leave covered tinder and kindling near the fire ring.
Any "catholes" are dug a ways from the site and the cover replaced after use, we also put in a small amount of bacterial enzyme in the hole to speed up decomposition. :yo:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I always try and to avoid leaving a footprint, I try to only get one or two things out of my sack at a time and as soon as I've finished with it its packed away with any junk it may have created.

Fly tipping seems to be a big problem where we live. I was at my local woods the other day where my daughter stumbled onto a fridge with four wheels complete with tires next to it. It's very sad particularly when you consider that in the same travel time from my house to the woods, we're talking 7 minutes ish, you can get to an amenities tip which actually has specific collection points for these kinds of items! :aargh4:

Paul

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
pibbleb said:
I always try and to avoid leaving a footprint, I try to only get one or two things out of my sack at a time and as soon as I've finished with it its packed away with any junk it may have created.

Fly tipping seems to be a big problem where we live. I was at my local woods the other day where my daughter stumbled onto a fridge with four wheels complete with tires next to it. It's very sad particularly when you consider that in the same travel time from my house to the woods, we're talking 7 minutes ish, you can get to an amenities tip which actually has specific collection points for these kinds of items! :aargh4:
Paul

Definitely public flogging. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE