Leatherwork question: how do you skin a cat.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I need some info on how to skin a cat, and tan the skin. please:

There is one at the door right now, she's been there about 10 minutes, scratch, rattle mew,mew,mew,mew, scratch, rattle the cat flap, you get the idea.
I have my axe ready, I am going to throw it at the door in a minute.... too early for my nerves to take it......help:D

If I let her in, she'll start scratching the carpet, then go in the kitchen to pester the dogs...... argh......:cussing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q and switch the sound on....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My husband is in complete sympathy with you.:bluThinki
My 'damned cat' woke him up like that at 4.15 this morning, and then refused to go out, wanted fresh food, water from the sink, him to go back down and watch her eat, try the door again, more water, tried the other door (different weather systems :dunno: ) and then went back to bed. By then himself is wide awake, grumpy as h3ll and can't sleep.

I was sound asleep the whole time ...........funny how the cat becomes 'mine' when she wakes them up, isn't it ?

Loved the cartoon :lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

Oh and skinning cats.......I'm told it's best done quickly, it seems they go bad incredibly fast, something about the diet.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, isnt it amazing how they expect the weather to be different out the back than out the front?

uncle_stuffy

Jun 16, 2008
Brighouse
There are really three ways to skin a cat:
1 - A cut down the stomach before peeling off the skin
2 - A cut down the spin and lift out the body
3 - A cut from one ankle to under the tail to the other ankle and remove the skin in a tube

The skin then needs to be shaved back with a knife to remove all dermal layers except the top skin layer

Buy a brush on tan to apply to the skin........

or have I taken this too literally :)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Well I know that “There is more than one way to skin a cat”, that saying must have originated from somewhere.

I like one of the signs in our local gunsmiths, “So many cats and so few recipes”.:eek:

They make good tucker…….apparently.;)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Well I know that “There is more than one way to skin a cat”, that saying must have originated from somewhere.

I like one of the signs in our local gunsmiths, “So many cats and so few recipes”.:eek:

They make good tucker…….apparently.;)

My friend's grandad ate one in Italy during WWII ( allegedly ), although no comment about the taste survived him.

Maybe one of the BCUK members who eat roadkill could comment?

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Dice/strips , marrianade lightly in a mix of soy sauce / herbs, skewer on old bicycle spokes, cook over hot charcoal till a little crispy. Borders on deliceous ! Especialy if like me you're not told what it is till later !!

( This was in N Uganda, just before harvest, food scarce ... just another meat. )

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Just make sure the cat is DEAD before you start skinning! Or you are in for a world of HURT!

They can be ... annoying ... at times. Like when they wake you up in the middle of the night by running across your face! The part that really worries me is ---- what were they chasing?

Taken literally? This is one of those areas that lead to HUGE emotional extremes. The Iowa State museum down in Des Moines has a large collection of Indian items on display. They used to have an Indian made pouch on display, that was made from a tanned cat skin - made in the late 1880's or 1890's. And you could easily tell that it was a domestic/household cat. They got SO MANY complaints that they finally took it off display. It's now stored away in some drawer. So much for those "shocker moms with their little weebles in tow".

So if you actually want to tan a cat skin, be aware that some of those STORM TROOPER BUNNY-HUGGERS will probably find some muddle-headed judge to send the real cops to arrest you and confiscate it - because it personally offends their gentle sensibilities!

A friend and his family were camped at an 1830's historical gathering a few years ago in a neighboring city park. His 13 year old son had started up his own little campfire, and was roasting a squirrel on it. One of those "shocker moms" with several little "weebles" in tow stopped by to watch - with the usual comments like "Oh look, the little boy is cooking his supper over his fire. What are you cooking little boy?" His reply was simple. One word --- "cat". She was very shocked, never said anything, and immediately left the whole event dragging her kids away - who still wanted to see the rest of what was going on. My friend fully expected the city cops to show up soon to check out her "complaint", but none ever did. His son finished cooking his squirrel, ate it, and was very content in his little camp.

The old Mountainmen of the Rocky Mountain fur trade era wrote that they really liked panther meat (cougar, mountain lion).

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Just make sure the cat is DEAD before you start skinning! Or you are in for a world of HURT!

You would have to be mad to try to skin a cat before it was dead:eek:

Thats why I had my axe at the ready :D To defend myself of course, cats can be pretty nasty, evil creatures, can't they, the way they torture little creatures like mices!!!

I would not want the Storm troopers burning the house down...

Honestly, people are weird. We eat all sort of animals, we have factory farm (which don't deserve the title farms) battery chickens, pigs in steel cages, but talk about cooking a cat and they are horrified :yikes: and probably would beat you to a pulp given half a chance.....:confused:

Oh, and before the bunny hugger send the storm troopers, I would like to state the cat is alive and well and torturing the dog at the moment!!!!!!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bit of a side note about people skinning cats but I am on a roll...
My wife was recently sent a link to a animal rights site that showed a clip of people skinning cats and dogs whilst still alive in some market in China.
I have not seen it (don't particularly want to either) but she was pretty disgusted by it.

Now I am no yogurt weaver and can understand that some cultures do things differently from us and view what we call pets as food and all that but skinning animals whilst they are still alive is just taking the ****, and any animal deserves to be given a quick and humane death whatever it is.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Now, I know this is probably in the wrong thread :D but its funny, mods, please feel free move it to the appropriate thread:

How to Give a Cat a Tablet

Pick the cat up and cradle in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into it, allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind the sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call partner in from garden. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get partner to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from the foil wrap. Make note to buy a new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered 'Dolton' figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later. Wrap cat in large towel and get partner to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pills not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply plaster to partners forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap. Retrieve cat from neighbours shed and get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon and flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road and apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid the cat. Take last pill from foil wrap. Tie cats front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed and pry cat's mouth open with a small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a pint of water down throat to wash down pill.

Get partner to drive you to the Emergency Room and sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat. Ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to Give a Dog a Tablet

Throw it in the air.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cat certainly does taste nice, nicer than chicken although the texture is similar. I was sold it as chicken in Oman, tuens out it was cat. I'd bought three wraps and ate two before I was told. Well, I'd paid for the third, hadn't I?

Yum! Yum!

:D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, different cultures have different manners of viewing animals - just as we do with our "factory" farming.

But for some reason, people don't view fish the same way.

One of the current "fads" in expensive "high culture" dining is to have the chef take a live fish out of the water tank, "flash" cook it on each side, put it on a plate, and have it served to you to eat - as it is still gulping for water and rolling its eyes! Almost like eating barely warmed sushi. And this is considered "high culture EXPENSIVE fancy dining"!

Of course, I take one look at sushi, and ask where the fishing poles are if we are supposed to catch our own supper - since they brought us the BAIT!

One hint -- if it can still move on its own, then it ain't dead yet, nor cooked enough!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. still bothers me wondering what those kits were chasing when the woke me up in the middle of the night by running across my face.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Heh, That's not the first time someone has inquired about skinning a cat. From what i can remember, cat is Very similar to fox.. so the same skinning techniques should apply.
Here's how i skin fox:
1. Yes, make sure it is dead!
2. tie a loop around the neck and tie the other end to something stationary.
3. cut a circle around the neck (shallow cut just the skin)
4. cut a circle just above each of the paws
5. cut a line down the belly, from the neck cut, all the way to the bung and then continue down the tail. cut the tail as stright as you possibly can or it will twist when you tan it!
6. with the backside up, grab the two flaps created at the neck and pull toward the tail slowly working the skin off of the flesh.

The total time to complete this should be about 5 minutes. Cat, Fox, and other lean animals will leave a small amnount of muscle fascia left on the inside of the skin. The easiest way to remove this is to use the back of a hacksaw blade for scraping. Feline skins are some of the thinnest of any animal... so be careful when scraping so you don't cut/scrape through the skin.

Because this is also a "summer" cat, you will have a fairly sparse fur set on it. The easiest way to bunch the summer fur is to use a tannin soak (oak preferable) for about 6 hours, and then turn up the heat in your pot for about 10 minutes. DON'T boil it, just turn up the heat enough so that it is just beyond your pain tolerance to touch. This will cause the skin to shrink a small amount and increase the fur density before stretching. Careful of your times on this, a skin can be shrunk by almost 65% of its orginal size!

...and the rest is history;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
:yikes: :yikes: Not even a very bad cat deserves this...not even the one that left the mice's guts outside the bedroom door for someone to walk on in the niddle of the night.....:bluThinki on the other hand..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE