Leatherwork help for a beginner

Jul 9, 2012
Dorset
I am looking for some help and advice regarding where to begin. I want to make some small items for larping events (pouches, frogs, scabbards/sheaths etc) but am not really sure where to start. I would like to practise on some offcuts, but have no idea where to get small pieces of veg tanned leather, and if I did, what mm thickness I should get. Help, please!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...yup you need veg tan full grain....for sheaths i use 3.5mm+ mainly.....shoulder cut....can be quite stiff and priceyish....to start off maybe you should go with columbo side....2.5mm should do it....flexible....cheap....40quid or so for a 12 sq ft hide....i use le prevo but theres also tandy up north or try keith lyon...

gizza shout if you need more help....

a

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
You could also check on the bay and see what they have. I have just got a good few pieces of lovely leather off there for very little money.

As for thickness i'd say 2.5mm is ideal for making pouches and thicker pieces such as 3.5mm-5mm for heavy duty sheaths.

Hope that helps give you some options :)

Jul 9, 2012
Dorset
Thank you all so much. I at least have a starting point now and feel a little more confident about buying offcuts. Thanks for the links too, very helpful. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE