Leatherwork birthday presents

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After starting to get properly into leatherwork just before Christmas, I've just finished these two items for my brother's birthday.

The belt is made from a veg-tan strap, edge creased, dyed, burnished, hand-sewn and finished with carnauba cream. The coaster /beer mat is carved with his initials.

Hope he likes them!

Geoff

belt_01.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks, folks, for the compliments. He did like them, his birthday is today.

My wife now wants me to make leather drinks coasters for Christmas presents...so I've got my work cut out for the year.

Still, I bought her a soap making book for Christmas, so she's going to have to do some work too. :D

Geoff

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi Geoff,

Good work, they look real nice. :)

I wasn only talking about trying my hand at some leatherwork with the missus this afternoon. (She used to do a bit when she was younger)

Any tips on where to get hides from, and/or what to look out for?

Cheers,

Chris

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Not a birthday present this time, but a gift for a friend, a hand tooled belt, antiqued with Fiebings tan antique finish, topped off with resolene. Finish is a little uneven, but I think that adds to the charm of the old looking belt.

belt_03.jpg

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
And some further work. I didn't expect to be making fashion leatherwork, but my daughter wanted me to make her a belt, and here it is. She's half way through training to be a midwife, so I thought she'd like the little footprints.

belt_04.jpg

And my wife wanted a 50th gift for one of her friends (she likes wine), so here's a drinks coaster!

belt_05.jpg

I'm eventually going to get onto making something for myself. :(

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
there amazing! well done. this is something i would like to do too but dont know where to start TBH. after all that effort you had better make yourself something special! :D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
after all that effort you had better make yourself something special! :D

I originally got a few bits and pieces because I wanted to make a small bag from a deer hide that I'd tanned into buckskin, and one or two sheaths for myself. Then I thought I'd teach myself the basics (with lots of good advice from here, and from Googling) by making one or two belts, and it's taken off from there with people wanting belts and beermats from me, so I haven't had the chance to do anything for myself yet. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the antiqued belt I made (earlier in this thread) was too small - the person told me the wrong waist size!

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE