Handmade Leather and Canvas Day Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi, hope everyone is getting out to enjoy the great weather lately.

I recently finished this canvas and leather day pack, which something I've had planed for a long time as some of you already know. The pack is a nice size for day hikes, every day carry, but could easily de used for a summer overnight with a bedroll attached. (perhaps a Boone challenge in the not too distant future) I was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable this pack is to carry.

I've went a little bit overboard with the sewing and rivets to make it far stronger than it needs to be, but it's no harm. I have, as usual, burnished all the leather edges and hand sewn everything, which was very time consuming but worth it to me. It really bugs me to see un-dyed, un-burnished edges on so may high end 'handmade' canvas and leather packs.

I've made this from the same 15oz, british made cotton canvas that I use on my folding dump pouches. You've probably guessed by now that I like grey :) I am really pleased with the quality of this stuff. The straps and lid are made from veg tan leather, which I have dyed a nice dark brown and finished in my usual way. I've hand carved a raven onto the lid; I've always liked ravens and they are prominent figures in many ancient cultures. I've been deliberately choppy with the beveller here to make him look a bit ruffled, I think it worled well this time.
All the canvas seams are hand sewn, with no exposed edges in a way that retains the full strength of the canvas and also offers a good degree of water resistance. All the leather is hand sewn and riveted with copper rivets and the hardware is solid brass.

It's about 16" wide and 20" long and is closed with a drawstring under the lid to make sure nothing can fall out. I've also included a small inner pouch on the front side for those things that tend to get lost down the end of a pack. I've left the ends of the straps deliberately long until I decide how much I want to cut off after some more use.
I havn't decided whether I want to do a leather, antler or wooden slider yet, so I've left it without one. Feel free to make suggestions.

Once I use it for a few months and figure out what I like and don't like I'll probably make a few MKII versions for sale. I'm also making up a larger pack for multi day trips, but havn't fully settled on a design yet.

Anyway, I hope you like it and as usual all criticism and comments are welcome.

These are a few pics I snapped with my phone quickly while out and about. I'll get my girlfriend's camera and take a few proper ones and upload them when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Hamish. It always seems to be that there is no time to make anything for yourself. Orders first and we go to the bottom of the list. I won't tell you when I first started this one! haha

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a real beauty! The brown of the leather looks great with the grey, and the raven is inspired; very lovely thing :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, guys :) I appreciate all the positive comments. Don't be afraid to tell me if there's anything you don't like too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE