Leatherman Surge..??..!!..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I really want a leatherman surge.
I mean I really really want a leatherman surge for no particular reason other than I always wanted one.
I've seen one for £100, which I happen to have spare thanks to a recent Birthday.

If possible please tell me one of two things.
Either that .. 1) A new Leatherman Surge will solve all of my problems, bring me Health, Wealth & Happiness. Bring me Peace and I will find Joy in using it each and every day.... (examples of happy ownership would be nice.)
or 2) That I would be better off spending my £100 Birthday cash on something else (or a list of something elses) please leave enough detail so I can google.

Or if you want to try to make me feel bad, you can try to tell me what else I should do with my windfall.

Many Thanks
Ken.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
You might find one for sale on here.

Put a wanted thread up in the for sale section... :)

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
As long as it has the changable wire cutters and there for not the older model, I would get it, I got mine from https://shop.topboats.com/tienda/ac...?sref=830165&gclid=CL65hY68uNICFe4V0wodCfgMiQ
And it has not left my belt since it arrived maybe a 12month ago, I have not tried a leather sheath but It has eaten a moly sheath, and the elastic sides died on the nylon one, so I have now made a leather one.

There in so kidding it is a big tool but I have large hands and never really felt comfortable with a wave, the surge suits me better, if you have a supertool 300 it is the same plier head as that and about the same size.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Got one of the older versions- my choice as I wanted the fine tip screwdrivers for glasses repairs etc. I had no need for heavy duty wire cutters. These ones on there are unlikely to mangle with most wires- heavy gauge stuff= use a proper tool.

It's true they are a tough bit of kit, better than a Gerber when comparing build quality.

Downsides: it weighs a tonne, even on my belt. Got tired of pocket carrying it.
Illegal to carry without a good purpose.
Not that comfortable in the hand when using the screwdrivers on it.

Although I like it, to be honest I wouldn't spend £100 on one, or maybe get the older model for less. Or a lighter more basic version. I find myself using the knives most anyway.

Belt pouches: leather one supplied scratched up mine due to the rear of the metal press stud. Leatherman sent me a nylon one from the USA free of charge and with no fuss- if only more British companies looked after their customers!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hi! Devil's Advocate here! If you take advantage of the DD Hammocks group buy on the forum you could get a Frontline Hammock, 3x3 tarp and the full suspension kit AND have enough change to have a slap up binge at Mr. McDonalds Emporium of Quickly Cooked Pseudo Foodstuffs (if by slap up we mean a tiny cheesburger and by binge we mean one of).

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Or you could go for a tool more EDC friendly and you will get way more use out of it. The juice range.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have the older model too and will echo all the previous comments reference size and weight. Got mine from Costco when they used to sell them in a package with another Leatherman folding knife.

It has the nice touches of the mechanical lock that prevents the blade from opening when the pliers are deployed - though There is only one other multitool that that failure has been an issue. I have managed to loose the very small double ended (eye glasses) screw-driver, though I can't think of a time that I actually wanted to use it for its designed purpose either!

Another tool to have a serious look at (in my opinion, others may vary) would be the variants of the Swisstool - the engineering is of higher Quality (IMO) the blades and plier jaws feel better with have a more positive locking action and the whole package is a little more "slick" than the Surge; still reassuringly weighty for its size, but a little easier to manage.

I wanted one to fit my large hands - which it does admirably - but in all honesty, it doesn't get used all that often.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Echoing Ogri, I'd highly recommend the Swisstool Spirit - Absolute top quality. The model with the half serrated 'butter' blade can be had on Amazon for around £80. It comes with a well made leather sheath, all the tools open from the outside, all of them lock, and none of them clump together when opening and the pliers are ergonomic. Here's some pics of mine:
WP_20160812_005 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20161215_005 by magpie2112, on Flickr

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Thanks for all the input guys.

I've wanted a leatherman forever, and after a lot of research in different models I decided on the surge.
I realise it is heavy and bulky but I knew that going in.
I ended up ordering one Saturday and it arrived today.

I have been playing with it all day and some things I've noticed so far..
I love it's weight. For me it's reassuringly heavy in the hand. It feels like the thing you're working on will fail before it does which is nice in a tool.
I love the locking mechanisms. they're very intuitive and again make the tool feel safe in the hand.
I'm pleased I went with this one because I love the interchangeable blade holder. I do a fair bit of model making and use a lot of jigsaw and hacksaw blades manually, I'm pleased that the surge takes normal jigsaw blades and it looks like I should be able to use hacksaw blades with it too with a little modding.
The awl is fantastic. it's huge but at the same time feels like it'd make a hole in anything. also because of the lock and the way it's positioned makes it impossible to fold on your fingers which is reassuring.
I love the scissors hands down best foldaway scissors I've ever had on a multitool. They have great resistance and happily cut through plastic packaging. really easy to use too.
Another main reason I chose the surge was the bit adapter and I'm pleased I did.
I've been walking round looking for screws to do up all day. I got the extra bits set which comes with a load of philips and flat heads but also allan keys and more esoteric bits.
I've got a pretty good screwdriver/bit driver set that sits in the toolbox, but having something almost as good in your pocket is surely gonna make doing the little jobs more likely.

All in all Im very pleased with it, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it, especially when I go cycling.

A couple of things I'm not a big fan of.
The straight blade is nice but it is a little agressive looking for my tastes, a bit stabby looking. I'd have preferred a tanto or sheeps foot blade. or just the point to be a little more rounded. The serrated blade is much less offensivve looking.
The overall action is far stiffer than I was expecting but then I'm hoping that will get easier with use.
It didn't come with a lanyard hole. that is detachable and costs extra which seems a con at this price range. I like to attach a coloured paracord lanyard on my pocket tools so they're easily spotted as mine.
One of the reasons I bought the extra bit set was to be able to use the very fine screwdriver bit (the one for glasses) but that bit doesnt work with this model.

One other thing I'm a fairly big bulky bloke and I walk around in cargo trousers. I tried having the surge in a number of different pockets today and only noticed it was there (and not necessarily in a bad way) when it was in the leg pokets. I couldn't tell it was in my hip pockets so I really don't think carryng it around is going to be a problem.

Anyhow just my thoughts after a day. I may write a more detailed review after a couple of months actual use.
Cheers Ken.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I was in love with the surge for quite a while. I was the first persone in UK to get the new version and to start the New Surge club on Multitool.org. So after years of EDCing both versions for work:

1. Get the new version, much improved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWkGLlS4obE&t=205s
2. Best selection of tools out there, big outside scissors and the big flathead-prybar get a ton of use.
3. Too big and heavy for EDC. It was ok when I was working on farms spending most of my time in tractors and machines, but after switching to driving/site maintenance jobs it really started getting in the way. You will feel the weight on your belt, it will bounce if you need to run few steps (even horizontal carry), it will mash your kidney when you get in the car. And this is 6'4'', 18stone guy talking.

So just think what you want to use it for. This is a pickup truck of multitools, great to have in your caravan or car, but too big to carry around. Also Surge is better at bigger jobs like cutting barbed wire but cumbersome at straightening lace hooks in your boots.

So if you want it, get it, it won't let you down. Do a pricematch at GoOutdoors with this site and youll get it for £90. https://www.multi-tool.co.uk/leathe...r-pouch.html?gclid=CJPV1anTzdICFdQK0wodqMMN0Q
But for more universal and stil capable tool I would go with charge or swiss tool. And to add to your torment, I'm currently EDCing Leatherman Recharge :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE