Leatherman Surge Camo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Leatherman Surge Camo

surge9.jpg

Leatherman Surge Camo
Everyone has heard of Leatherman tools and most know that there are a number of them to choose from especially as they’re bringing out new models fairly frequently. For this review though we’re looking at one of the more classic Multi tools in their range, but it’s had some tweaking and comes in the form of the Leatherman Surge Camo

I’ve been using the Leatherman Surge Camo for a while now and initially I thought it would be good to have a new Leatherman to play with that was a bit different to the wave I generally carry but one of the main points of sending it to us was because it’s part of the new camouflage range of Leatherman tools sold by Facewest. Now the idea of a Camouflaged hunting tool or bushcraft tool seems a bit weird to me as I can’t but think that dropping it would be a near automatic lose it scenario, I know how hard it is to find kit dropped into the loose flooring of a woodland and if it’s been dropped unexpectedly then, well, good luck because at £129.95 you’re unlikely to have a spare.

So, not really seeing the point of camouflaged kit I was pleasantly surprised as I took hold of the new Surge and thought ‘this is cool’ I like the camouflage, I like the tactical black blades (the one I’ve got has been engraved which is a great idea for ownership or a gift) So, my first impressions were very good, it’s heavy but I’ve come to expect that and see it as a proof of quality, it’s a robust, practical and no frills multi tools, it’s attractive (in a multi tool sort of way) and I’m happy to carry it around with me. It’s constructed from high quality Stainless Steel , has good positive locking The steel used for the blades seems like better quality than my older Leatherman, maybe that’s just me but it seems to hold an edge better and be slightly keener in its cutting.

surge3.jpg

One thing that I like is that it feel safe, there’s no worries about any of the tools closing in on your fingers, so far I’ve used it to carve things from a toothpick to a fish slice, I’ve used the file, screwdriver to take my laptop apart, pliers to get me out or a tight situation as well as carrying hot pots off of the camp fire, both the straight blade and the serrated blade are great and I’ve found the scissors sharp and capable. The awl was great for the leather pouches I made a couple of weeks ago. I do think that saying that It’s a great bit of kit sums the whole thing up well. I’ve used nearly everything on the tool and I reach for it regularly, even when I’ve got a fire to light and I’m using a firesteel, the saw blade is one of the best things to use for high quantity and quality sparks, it’s like a mini firework.

surge10.jpg

I know that you can use the nylon case (sheath) that comes with the Surge as a cover for the handle so you’ve got a softer grip when sawing etc I’ll look at this soon and see how it feels, I imagine that it would be comfortable though as the case is well padded with a fold down top that velcros closed securely. The case has a belt loop and will fit on most belts with ease, you’ll have to move it about to see where you’re most comfortable carrying it and you’ll also need to make sure your belt is nice and snug or the Surge will help your trousers travel down to your ankles, at just under ¾ of a pound in weight (335gms) it’s a meaty tool. Once secured though you rarely notice it, until you reach for it and it’s not there.

There’s an option for further ‘bits’ to enhance the capabilities of the Surge which will interest some of you I know, you can see more about these on the facewest site here.

Conclusion:
Even though you might lose sight of it a bit easier than you’d like it’s a great bit of kit and although not necessary the camo is cool. Well worth a look if you’ve not got one or want to upgrade the Leatherman you’ve already got.

Leatherman Surge Camo Tools & Features:
  • 420HC Clip-point Knife
  • 420HC Sheep's Foot Serrated Knife
  • Needlenose Pliers
  • Regular Pliers
  • Wire Cutters
  • Hard-wire Cutters
  • Wire Stripper
  • Electrical Crimper
  • 5/16" Screwdriver
  • Large Bit Driver
  • Small Bit Driver
  • Scissors
  • Wood/Metal File
  • Diamond-coated File
  • Saw
  • Bottle Opener
  • Can Opener
  • 9 in | 22 cm ruler
  • Awl with Thread Loop
  • INCLUDED BITS: Phillips and Flat Tip Eyeglasses Screwdriver Bit, Phillips #1-2 and 3/16" Screwdriver Bit
  • Stainless Steel Handles
  • Stainless Steel Body
  • Outside-accessible Blades for One-handed Opening
  • Blade Exchanger
  • All Locking Blades and Tools
  • Lanyard Ring
  • Leather or Nylon Pouch
  • 25-year Warranty

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I have the stainless finish Leatherman Wave (new version) and have used it for all sorts of tasks,great strong multitool and the main blades hold a good edge as you have stated being 420HC.

I store an extreme survival magnesium & flint rod down the elastic on the side of the condura pouch & agree with what u've said tony 100% as in when struck across the back of the saw blade it throws immense sparks even though a lot of people state stainless is a poor choice when used with ferro rods.
Maybe its the fact that the spine is well squared off.

This is the first decent m/tool i've owned, used SAK's before and although they have there place i find the wave much more versatile & safe with the locking blades (bit wary of EDC use tho because of the blade locks).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE