leathercraft question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Guys,

this may seem like a really daft question but, I have acquired some of that sort of fake leather stuff they put over foam to make cushions (girlfriends old piano chair she was chucking out, wrapped in what looked like a really nice died leather) so I wripped it off to find that it was only that fake stuff with like a cloth backing.

it is horrendously thin, probably about 0.5-1mm thick, so what can I make from it? I am thinking it is probably too thin to make any sort of sheath out of it, and I dont want to waste it by trying to and then failing, so maybe just some leather pouches to keep bits and bobs in, obviously because the material is so thin as well I dont think it can be wet formed into anything but again someone can clarify that for me?

really would have liked to make a sheath from it because I only have those horrible plastic ones for my knives, but after some research I dont think it would work :(

anyway

thanks in advance!

bushcraftsman :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
how about in addition to a couple of bags, you try and cover the plastic sheaths with this stuff?.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yup, exactly that, work out a template using a bit of paper first so you dont waste the covering and when it's worked out and you have a good fit, just glue it all up with some contact adhesive

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Doesn't matter, you are willing to give it a try, which is more than some people ever do, if in doubt, you can always glue it on with Copydex to begin with, that way, if you are not happy with it, it will just peel off and you can start again and keep trying things until you are happy with it, then glue it up with the contact adhesive

Scout Leader

Feb 1, 2011
Fife
I think in this months of Bushcraft Mag Ben Orford did an article of covering on of those plastic sheaths, so your thin flake leather would be a cheap way of upgrading it. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I think in this months of Bushcraft Mag Ben Orford did an article of covering on of those plastic sheaths, so your thin flake leather would be a cheap way of upgrading it. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

I can't seem to find a link to anything like that, could you point it out? I just keep getting things like ben ordfords "latest news"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE